CD-ROM not working

My CD ROM Drive is not recognized when a disc is inserted. I have tried Microsoft Fix It, Uninstalled the driver and rebooted, updated software, other suggested fixes except the deleting of filters because I fear the risks that are warned of. Can anyone help me fix this problem. I am using an HP Pavilion G60 with Vista operating system. Thankyou

First, check if you can boot from a bootable CD/DVD. If you can't it's a hardware problem. Let us know

Thankyou for the response. I took my lap top to a PC repair shop and they deleted a foriegn filter that they said was installed by some other device that burns CDs. The only thing that I have along that line is iTunes for my iPad. My CD works fine now but I get an error message when I boot up iTunes that I will not be able to burn CDs from that source. I have sent an email to Apple support to request a suggestion as to how to get around this problem. In the meantime I can't update iTunes software as it will automaticly install its filters again that will disable my CD drive. When I get a response I will swing back here and update the post.
Cheers

Back