CD-ROM Presario freezing laptop on login.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darmin

I have Presario laptop.

CD-ROM was bad, it was causing all types of errors. A new cd-rom was ordered for that part number thru HP.

Now that I have placed the new cd-rom within the laptop (identical cd-rom) when I try to login into windows (laptop is in a domain) it freezes. It can sit there for about half an hour or longer. Disk indicator barely blinks. It won't let me go into windows, and one time it did it just showed the desktop and stayed there for about good 30 minutes.

When I put the back the faulty cd-rom into the laptop, windows logs in normal. Without any cd-rom logs in fine. Does anyone have any experience with this?????

Thanks

Sorry, just want to be perfectly clear

It's a laptop with a new Cdrom drive (internal ? USB ?)

When the CD Drive is mounted, Windows slows down
When the CD Drive is removed, Windows loads ok.

Is that right ?

If so, it's one of two things
DOA CD Drive
Or something is trying to read from the CD Drive (like a startup shortcut to D:\ wherever)

Or if it's a USB (external) CD Drive, then possible a USB driver fault

I'd do this:

Download CCleaner (actually I'm trying to get rid of tracks to the CD drive)
And update all the computers drivers from the manufactures site
You may also want to go to Device Manager (Control Panel-System-Hardware) and fully remove all CD Drives (restarting to find new hardware automatically)
You can also run Startup to see if something is trying to start from the CD drive letter

Please reply back, clarifying what I said above, and also if what I said to do resolves it.

kimsland said:
Sorry, just want to be perfectly clear

It's a laptop with a new Cdrom drive (internal ? USB ?)

Yes, internal and yes to slowing down.

Yes

Will do. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back