CD ROm trouble

By zooropa
Jun 18, 2005
  1. I have a wee problem. When I load a CD ROM containing a program onto the computer, it should spin up immediately and load, right? Well not at the moment. It spins briefly, then nothing. Doesn't matter which of the two drives I use either. Points of note. Doesn't see the CD in the directory, and keeps asking me to enter one, and, it used to boot up if I rebooted the whole computer. Not this time. Incidentally, the CD ROM I'm trying to run and install is the one that's just come with my shiny new iPOD. Help!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Check the ide cable, it may be loose, or damaged, or just plain bad.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. insanedude

insanedude TS Rookie

If you dont find a solution, and if that cdrom is for itunes, then i think you can just download itunes from
  4. DragonMaster

DragonMaster TS Rookie Posts: 327

Every computers caused this to me after a while, even if the drives were OK. Go in safe mode, delete every CDROM from periphal list, delete every IDE, SATA, etc. controllers, also BusMaster devices. Then, restart the computer. After that, try to see if there aren't any newer chipset drivers.

Also, look if (In PATA controller settings) DMA is activated where there are devices, and if None is selected where there are no devices. You save about 15 seconds boot time and have a faster computer if you do this.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.