Cd-rw and dvd not recognised in my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
sorry to start with a problem
but...i have an easynote by packard bell with windows xp
My cd drive is not recognized at all, nothing happens at all when i put in a cd, no message or anything. In my computer nothing shows up and in device manager there is a yellow ! next to the dvd drive.
thank you

The laser(s) have burned out. Replace the burner, if it is more than a year old, or has had heavy use.

It takes some common sense on how to open a computer case to get at the old one. A philips screw driver to remove the four screws, and the cables in the back.
Then insert the new one
You can get a CD burner at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, and other such shops for $24.95 to $29.95, or a DVD burner for $29.99 to $49.99. You can also pay a lot more, but you do not need to.

You can also buy them more cheaply online at www.cdw.com, www.pcconnection.com, www.outpost.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.directron.com, www.newegg.com, and many, many others.

"is there anything i can do in terms of on the computer?"

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

There are a number of tests you can try, but they all require some work. The optical drive could have a bad drive belt or a bad drive wheel. It could have a loose cable on the back.
But if the drive has failed, otherwise, you can only replace the drive.

Easynote (Packard Bell) appears to be a notebook computer. Cracking open its case can be tricky, and it is best left to a repair shop.

Aside from the extra bulk, external burners are an alternative.

Before declaring the DVD a failure, from the device manager, uninstall it.
Then restart the computer. Consult device manager for its status. If the DVD is not in trouble, insert a disk (media) to verify its ability to read. The final stage is to use the burner.

I'm having the same problem with my DVD rom.

One of my friends gave me this link about Registry Editing the UpperFilter and LowerFilter. support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Is this a safe thing to do? Could this solve both our problems?

However the file the link says to Edit, Upper and LowerFilters aren't showing up on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back