CD-RW Drive Not Reading Any Discs

By JoshXC
Oct 11, 2005
  1. My CD-RW Drive is not reading any discs of any format or size. I use 2 CD/DVD Drives. After using Nero Express to burn a small .rar file (which failed due to Nero not responding) I restarted Nero Express and tried to burn the file again. However when I inserted a new blank disc it said PLEASE INSERT A WRITABLE BLANK DISC or something like that. Now I have reinstalled drivers and rebooted and did registry repairs and virus scan and trojan/spyware scans. I have two drives for media CD's.

1. E: HP CD-Writer +9100 [the problem]
    2. F: Hitachi GD - 2000 [not a burner but reads DVD's and all CD's]

My disc works in other computers and I've burnt on the same brand CDRW on different computers. This is a serious problem becuase I am a student and this is my main computer. Nero has to be the problem but there must be some external way to fix it outside of Nero Customer Support. I am looking for someone who knows about registry files and the possible error not a person who is going to question the lens dust or IDE cable. The cable is connected and power is on and my lens is clean.
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

I would uninstall and then re-install Nero. Also remove the CD drives in Device Manager and then reboot and let Windows re-instal them. Sometimes when Nero and EZCD crash they corrupt system files and screw up the IDE controller.
  3. JoshXC

JoshXC TS Rookie Topic Starter

Did that!

Ok I reinstalled Nero and double checked the IDE I even switch the two drives so the writer is on bottom and dvd on top and the writer still is bad so I know it is not IDE or Nero Please Help!
  4. blaacksheep

blaacksheep TS Rookie Posts: 70

Ok, get yourself a win98 boot floppy and boot from that. If your drive can't read a disc then, the drive croaked. :dead:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.