TechSpot

CD W drive not recognized

By abcdefg
May 25, 2006
  1. I had a power surge on my Compaq Presario desktop which has a floppy drive, a dvd drive and also a CD Burner drive. I had to get the power supply replaced. Now Windows will not recognize the CD Burner drive. The light comes on and it opens and closes but will not work. The DVD drive shows up, so does all the hard drives and floppy drive. How can I get it to function again?

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

Try uninstalling the IDE channel the drive is on in device manager and rebooting. if it does not reinstall the drive when windows restarts then the drive is probably damaged.

3. abcdefg

abcdefg TS Rookie Topic Starter

How do I do that? What is an IDE channel? I know how to get to device manager.

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

The IDE channels can be located in device manager under IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers.

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,980   +362

Oops. Nevermind. Misread post.

6. abcdefg

abcdefg TS Rookie Topic Starter

It is fixed. Had to pop both the top dvd drive out, and the cd rw drive under it out and then swapped them, made one master and the other slave to it. It worked and is burning now. Thanks to all who responded!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.