Cd writer - secondary conductor 80 not installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i bought my brothers cd writer yesterday because mine doesnt work no more, i opened my case put it in, pulled out the conductor and power cable and put it in my "new" cd writer.

I start my pc, at the memory test screen it says something along the lines of: no secondary conductor 80 installed.
i only had 1 second to read that so im not 100% sure.

I ignored that and started windows (xp home)fine. I start nero start burning... it goes all fine, then all of a sudden my pc reboots when it is still burning my cd.

when windows start i get a error message: windows has recovered from a error and ask me to send to microsoft yes or no..

So now i have wasted about 10 cds and everytime my pc reboots when its burning.
If someone could help me solve this prob it would be appriciated.

(sorry for the bad spelling etc, english is my 2nd language)

I believe the error message you recieved is unrelated to your problems. But your problem certainly is a tough problem, nonetheless.

The 80-conductor error message you receive is a warning that you are not using an 80-pin cable. You are instead using the 40-pin cable, which will work fine although you will not be able to achieve full ultra DMA speeds. Again, this should be fine although I'd recommend installing an 80-pin cable if you have access to one.

Your restarting problem could be a variety of things ranging from hardware to software issues. Follow this thread as it develops for more information in the future: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10695

Originally posted by Rick
I believe the error message you recieved is unrelated to your problems. But your problem certainly is a tough problem, nonetheless.

The 80-conductor error message you receive is a warning that you are not using an 80-pin cable. You are instead using the 40-pin cable, which will work fine although you will not be able to achieve full ultra DMA speeds. Again, this should be fine although I'd recommend installing an 80-pin cable if you have access to one.

Your restarting problem could be a variety of things ranging from hardware to software issues. Follow this thread as it develops for more information in the future: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10695

i dont have a 80 pin one, but if that is not the thing that crashed my pc i wont bother getting one.
Thx for posting

You either take advise, or ignore it (at your own peril). That cable is cheap and can be used for other devices later. Rick said it all!

Come to think of it, did you set the Master/Slave?CS correct?

Does any1 know what this error means?

*blue screen*

STOP : 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8054AE97, 0XF49FEBA4, 0X00000000)

Ive also found out that when i put something smaller than 200 mb on the disk my pc doesnt crash, but if i try to put something around 500mb on a 650 mb disk the pc crashes.

Are you doing something else while burning?
Is Burn-Proof or the likes activated?
Is your Nero a legal copy? If not, that explains...

Maybe your PC does not have enough power (CPU or PSU), give us the specs please, as well as your OS.

And for a comprehensive list of STOP-errors and their meaning, go here and bookmark it for future reference:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Also, do you have enough hard drive space left to cache what you're trying to burn? Could be the explanation of letting you burn smaller files compilations.

ok my pc
amd athlon 1.33 ghz
40 gb hard disk (20 gb left)
3x 256 memory
geforce 5200 fx
VenusII 48x24x48 cd rewriter

no other programs running while burning, i have enough space to cache the stuff.

I have tried to set my cd writer to master and no other cd/dvd players on the ide cable connected, still get the same crash.

I have tried to burn at a slower rate (4 speed) abnd pc still crashed.

Nero is 100% legal so cant be the program, i tried other programs, pc crashes too.

Now what i have not tried yet is the burn proof thing, How do i disable this? (im not sure if this cd writer actually has a burn proof option)

OS is win xp home btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back