CDROM & DVD not picked up on 2nd master & slave

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( my dvd rom or cd burner wont work on 2nd Master or Slave. BIOS picks up them both fine but when windows starts there is nothin there. If i put my 20 gb HD's on they are picked up fine but not the DVD or CDBURNER. I know that the burner and dvd work cause i tested them on 1st master and slave.
Please help

Welcome to TechSpot
Are you using 80-wire (ATA-100/133) IDE-cables? A lot of CD/DVD don't like these, and want the old 40-wire cable.
Did you check that the red marking on the cable is, where the pins no. 1 are (mobo AND drive)?
They won't work on your SATA or RAID connectors either, if that's what you are trying.
In Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Hardware, select Remove, tick "Show hidden devices" if you have that, and remove ALL CD and DVD drives, especially the hidden ones.
Then switch off, attach only the CDRW or DVD as MAster on Second IDE (using the end-connectors of the IDE-cable).
Start up, go into BIOS, set second IDE to automatic for both channels, then reboot. Windows should now find the drive.

i got a 40 wire cord from my old P3 i think i will connect the cd rom and dvd together & put the 20gb & 40 gb together thanx heaps

nothin works on 2nd channel now. But everythign is reccognised in BIOS but not windows. I even did a windows Repair and nothin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back