CDrom not detected in BIOS

By yudefender
Jul 28, 2007
  1. I have old computer Compaq Deskpro PII 450 Mhz with integrated sound card Ess Audiodrive (not working), and CDrom (working). After I plug in PnP Sound Card ess1868 i finally got sound but I lost CDrom. Bios cannot detect my cdrom anymore. When I plug out my PNP sound card cdrom is detected just fine.

What can I do to solve my problem?

Thanks in advanced.
  2. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

3. yudefender

yudefender TS Rookie Topic Starter

Windows xp. But I think that this problem must be solved at bios level.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

5. yudefender

I set it to CS. All hardware are seto to autodetected. I don't have option to set it manual. When I plug soundcard i get ide drives screen sith this information

primary slave not installed
    secondary master not installed
    secondary slave not installed

and when I plug out the sound card, cdrom is detected (but then i don't have sound)

secondary master atapi cdrom
  6. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

First Chang the jumpers on the drives to their actual position eg. Master/Slave ; CS can cause problems.
    Next did you confirm Plug and Play sound card's compatibility with your older MB's bios ?
  7. yudefender

Onboard soundcard is disabled and I plug in ess1968 Isa PnP sound card. I also remove modem. When I plug in soundcard CDrom doesn't work again. (Bios cannot detect it, and also windows cannot detect cdrom). I try to manual install cdrom in windows and i have no success.
    SOundcard is OK because it works but then i don't have cdrom.

I try all possible combination with jumpers and still nothing
    CDrom only work if I remove soundcard.
  8. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

You need to check the Mb support site for compatibility with PnP . There may be a bios update that handles this as PnP was not always supported with older hardware.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.