Not open for further replies.
I have recently built a computer with the following:

Abit IS7-V2 mb
2.93 ghz celeron D processor
512 megabytes of RAM
60 gig hd
cdrom
I am using the retail heatsink that came with cpu

When I booted for the first time I got the temparture warning alarm (set to sound at 85 C). I removed the heatsink, removed the thermal compound that came on the heat sink and replaced fresh thermal compound. That lowered the temp to around 70-73 C but I can't get it any lower than that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Use Less Thermal Compound

Yes, I meant "less". Assuming you used a bead larger than the size of a BB or grain of rice, completely clean the CPU and heatsink and reapply a bead of heatsink compound the size of a BB or grain of rice. After several hours of use, the temperature will decrease due to the compound melting into the tiny crevices in the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink.

Make sure you have at least two system fans in the case and that they're blowing/spinning in the same direction.

Had a microtower that came with no case fans. It ran at 70c. With 2 fans sucking air in the front and blowing it out the back it runs at 40-45c playing games. Added a 80mm case fan in the front eventhough no sockets for the screws. Just used washers on the vent grid in the front to hold the fan onto it. Added a 90mm fan in the back.

Thanks for the posts.

I re-applied the thermal compound and installed two case fans. I am keeping the CPU temp between 40 C and 45 C now.

Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back