Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidwinter

Here is my rig:

Windows xp pro service pack 2
20gb 2mb cache WD
1.5gb Simpletech 3200 400mhz DDR ram
x800xt PE (stock)
Celeron D 478 2.93 (oc'd to 3.06 cause I hated seeing it a few mhz below 3ghz)

Well I was at bestbuy today and the guy was showcasing BF2 on a computer with 1gb memory on an x700. He had an intel Dual core inside of it, dont know the actual speed, but it ran smoother then when I play BF2 on my computer. Now BF2 is playable at max settings on mine, but for some reason his ran smoother by at least 15-20fps. Now im running it at like 20fps. Is it the dual core thats bringing the FPS out of it or is it my bargain bin CPU that is lacking the FPS, I was thinking of upgrading to a pentium 4 3.2ghz cpu since my mobo supports it. Should I do that or start building a dual core system?

Welcome to Techspot.
A lot of different items work together to produce a smooth running game, so without getting into" my box is better than yours" routine, I'll just talk generalities.
First of all , Celeron is not a gaming CPU.It is a economy level processor, that can perform mid to low demand processing.(Email, basic Office Programs, especially in a Workstation type domain)
PentIV are going to perform better in any Multimedia/Gaming programs than the Celeron.
That new Dual Core is going to out shine( According to a couple of Mag articles I read) the Pent IV's, Intel & Microsoft (Software side) are both dumping a ton of money on this whole new series of Processors.
So, look at your Bank account , and then decide at what level you want to enjoy your games , and then get updated.

Thanks

Yah when I started building a computer, it was mainly for some older games, 2000-2002 era, but then I sold my xbox, PS2 and gamecube to turn it into a gaming machine. I think im gonna see how much better a p4 is going to get me FPS wise, and if its huge then ill definatly fork the $250 out for one, but if its only 5-6fps, then Ill just start building a dual core rig. Thanks for the input!

Make sure you thoroughly investigate the
dual and Single core.
It looks like they are not going to be much more expensive than Pent IV(If at all)
But they have a lot more transistors and yet run cooler. If I understand it correctly it is because they are related to the Pent III & 'M' . They seem to reflect the same nature of AMD's in that the processor speed is lower , yet performance is higher.
Anyway I am no engineer. I do know my Portable which is a Pent M 2.0 is as fast at some Multi media and write processes as my desk top Pent IV 3.06 , and I have read som interesting reports comparing the Pent M to Pent IV's.
You may want to wait a little longer so some good Mb Manufacturers get up to speed with these guys (Dual Core's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back