Celeron D or Pentium 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I was thinking about buying an Intel Celeron D (3.2ghz,533mhz) for $130 from newegg. Then I saw a Pentium 4 (3.2ghz,800mhz) for $214 on newegg also. I know the P4 has 800mhz but thats not a big enough difference to pay $85 more is it? Anywho, I have the money now to buy a Celeron D but not the Pentium 4. Should I save up my money and go with the Pentium 4 or just buy the Celeron D. Oh yea I want which ever one is better for gaming. :D and no I don't really Like AMDs.

To bad you don't like AMD well the new 64-bit FSB 800MHz /1600 GHz ones are a lot better that prior AMD chips. Anyway if you want P4 make sure you get a P4 and 800 MHz FSB as min. 533 MHz FSB is okay, but with newer FSB hitting over 1GB which will be the next step. To me right now FSB 800MHz is better. CPU buy what you can afford.

Check out a P4 Prescott HT 3.x GHz with FSB 800MHz, L2 1MB.
Then again you can overclock them to 4.x GHz if you wanted too?

As for Celeron they're okay but I would still go for P4 instead. You can also get a P4 64-bit FSB 1GHz they should be out by now..

jorbo125 said:
Um forget wut I said bout AMDs. Brother just told me AMD Athlons are best for gaming. Is this True? :suspiciou

Yes but you can do the same with P4 Prescott with L2 1MB, but you know what I've just picked up another AMD 64-Bit Sempron 2800+ FSB 800 MHz / 1600 GHz CPU with MSI K8T Neo V FSB 800 MHz Bus MOBO Raid SATA 6 Channel 5.1 Sound an etc yesterday for $140 brand spanking new to be used as Gamer PC.

These newer AMD 64-bit can be overclocked to 2.4GHz using the same stock fan that comes with them. Good for all purposes. Video editing and encoding is very fast compared to my P4 2.4GHz Prescott L2 1MB, 1GB of RAM.

the P4 outperforms the Celeron's for gaming or anything else. the AMD chips have an edge over P4's in gaming and many other applications. but changing to an AMD is going ot require a new motherboard too.

jorbo125 said:
Do ghz really matter when it comes to gaming?

Well some games can run on PIII 850 MHz like the Ford Racing 2 does
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/fordracingevolution/tech_info.html

For better results stick with AMD 64-bit or P4 Prescott / HT. Ram does play an important part don't get anything less than 1GB of RAM PC2700 or PC3200.
Video Nvidia Series 6 or higher. ATI is also good X series or better.

I still like for Video:

This is the cheap now less than $55 bucks but was the best and still being produce.

Nvidia Geforce4
MX 4000 256-bit GPU 275MHz
128MB DDR 128-bit Memory 400MHz

Again it depends on what you want to spend for CPU, GPU (graphics Processor Unit- Video Card Core Engine), MOBO, RAM, HDD, Case.

Case you don't have to spend a lot of money just make sure you get 430W to 530W with ATA 24-pin connector that's adjustable to prior pin size also if you plan on buying AMD 64-bit or P4. Don't forget the fans for it if it not included.

Well just to answer your qestion the iny p4 is way better, but also it will take more of a hit on your wallet. make sure to get the right sockey size for your motherboard

As preformance goes Intel Pentium 4's (LGA775) and AMD Athalon 64's are about the same but AMD's are more eficent (they use less power and produce less heat).Stay away from celerons and sempirons as they havs a low FSB and arn't relly ment for gameing.

save up the money for the P4...borrow from a friend or from family...Don't waste $130 on the Celeron D...it's not dual core..The D is misleading. You'll be very happy with the 3.2 Ghz P4. If you're going to spend $130 or so, you might as well go a little higher and purchase something good right? well that's my own personal opinion anyways.

the intel p4 line is not duel-core and D means "Different".

Just thought you should know, not trying to say your wrong. about the D but it is of some relevance. :hotbounce

Well, I don't agree Intel and AMD are even competitive now, definetly go with AMD. Maybe in the near future Intel can catch up, but for present products available, AMD all the way for gamers.

Another thing you have to consider is the power and heat disipation on the Pentiums. They run a lot hotter than AMD, and require more power, so you might want to consider the power suply and the heat sink and fan for the Pentiums as extra cost. They are also less stable due to the greater heat disipation(won't go into that).

On top of all Intel motherboards tend to be more expensive too, so total system cost is way higher.

All in all, as of today, Intel is in general more expensive, less stable and less performing than AMD. The only good choice in the Intel camp are the dual cores.

All of this is in my opinion obviously.

compres

How much better?

Im in the same boat, I got the celeron D 2.93 (OC'd to 3.2ghz) and I was thinking about buying a 3.2ghz P4 for $250, but before I do this how much better is it going to make things? With the setup I got now I can play Fear, Doom 3 and Farcry on max settings fine, the only one thing that I have problems with is BF2, Main drags its 20fps, in secluded places its 30-40fps, Would getting the P4 increase performance by a long shot or would it just spruce it up a bit?

Windows XP pro sp2
20gb WD
80gb WD
52x Cd rom
1.5gb Simpletech 3200 400mhz DDR
Gigabyte x800xt PE 256mb
Celeron D 2.93ghz (OC'd to 3.21ghz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back