TechSpot

Celeron Vs Pentium

By Molongal
Feb 16, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What is the pentium equivilent of a Celeron 2.8ghz?
  2. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

I don't know, 2.4 or 2.2 maybe. It depends on what you're doing, software that relies on clock speed or cache memory more. Office applications and such are Celeron's high point, but it's not that good in games.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Celery is bad no matter what. It's much easier and nicer in the long run to buck up and get a Pentium, even if you have to lower the clock speeds.
  4. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 822

Yes stay away from the Celeron...
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Approximately 1.8 GHz P4A, according to AnandTech.
  6. Molongal

Molongal TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks guys
  7. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 369

a 2.6ghz celeron gets spanked by the 1.6ghz duron. celerons are not worth getting. for that price, get a barton 2500+
  8. XtR-X

XtR-X TS Rookie Posts: 1,040

Less onboard memory.

ONBOARD MEMORY: Celeron < Pentium 4
  9. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Well I certainly didn't think it was that bad, wow.

If you're searching for a budget processor go with the Duron. I built a machine with a Duron 1.8 Applebred, and it was pretty damn fast for a <$400 machine.

I suppose the Celeron is what AMD fanboys stereotype Intel processors to be - lots of MHz and zero power. It's like biking/driving in 1st gear - lots of RPMs but you're not going anywhere.
  10. Charles Hammond

Charles Hammond TS Rookie Posts: 164

When playing games a Celeron chokes up due to not enough Cache Memory. Soon there will be some Celerons with a 533Mhz Bus and 256k cache on a 90 nm die process.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.