Cell Phone

Ask away. The worst that can happen is no one knows the answer but someone might. Not me necessarily but someone.

My cell phone is running very slow, and it doesn't allow me access my e-mail or the internet when I tap my e-mail, or FB icons! Not sure what to do about it?

I was just told by someone else that's it's a low grade spec phone and that I need to to update using Kies which I did, and I was also told to Reset phone!

Problem is I have a threatening message that I need in my messages that I don't want to lose because it will be needed for court!

So while I want to work on getting this phone working better, I need to find a way to save that message as well without starting all over! I believe there's a way to back-up all my info with Kies, but not sure how that would work, and where that message will end up?

Sorry, I know computers somewhat, but not so good with cell phones...yet! lol

Here's my cell info:

4" Super Android Touchscreen Display
Android 2.3
3G/Wi-Fi Connectivity
5 MP Camera/Video Recorder
Bluetooth Wireless Technology
Multitasking
7 Home Screens
Music Player
Hearing Aid Compatible (HAS) Rating:M4
GPS Capabilities
Swype/Speech to Text
TouchWiz Lite 3.0
Gravity Sensor/Tilt and Shake
Voice Command
Battery Talk Time up 5.5 hours
Standby time up to 12.5 days

Not so great, I know!

If that threatening message you need saved is in your email, can't you access your email via a pc?

Hey there...that works :)

It's not in my e-mail...it's a text message! I think I phrased that wrong!

Is the message on an official looking docoment or could you simply type it to your email to save it?

No, it's just a text message that I need from this particular person for court purposes, and what was said in the text! The text has her name and phone # on it, and I don't know how to save it anywhere!

If I could save it, I could at least reset this cell, start over and get it running smoother! Someone in another forum had me update the cell with Kies (don't know what it is), and says I really needs to be Reset, which I'm sure it does in order for the update to take affect, but I think maybe I'll lose all my info...can't afford lose that text...although he said to back everything up in Kies before the Reset!

At this point I think I'll just take a picture of it on my cell phone with my Nikon camera...that should save it to a safe place!

I'll be back in a while...have to go for a few :)

I think someone threatened violence towards OP via an SMS message, which is why she needs it.

Long-press on the SMS message and write down all info: time send, received, etc. Take a photo of your phone with the SMS displayed.

Now that this is taken care of, reset your phone to stock with Kies (deleting all user data too.), and update it to latest software version. Come back when done. Also, whats the model?

Reset to stock is not required, but beneficial.

OK, I took the pictures of the texts, and I hope that's OK in court! I may have already updated last night...not sure, but I'll try again, and see what happen? Not sure what you mean deleting all other user data too? Other apps?

Bear with me here, I'm new at this! Thanks :)

The model is Samsung Galaxy S Showcase! I think this was a Limited Edition...not much info on it!

What does it mean when it says "saved message to draft" on your cell? Where is that saved to? That's where her texts are saved to!

Saved to draft: works like email. If you start writing an SMS but don't send it, it will be amongst other messages as a draft.

Also, yes, I think it may be best to delete everything from phone (factory reset) and start again, making sure it is updated. This is the easy way to fix a 'slow' phone. Note that this is a low-end device, so apps like Facebook will never be ultra-quick.

OK, is there a way to save my info beore I Reset in Kies! I think someone on another forum mentioned that there was!

Why did I have to buy this phone? Is there any way to put upload or put more memory on it, or change it to Gingerbread or Jellybean? Just questions?

Sorry I meant to say is there any way to upload or put more memory on it?...like on a computer!

Sorry I meant to say is there any way to upload or put more memory on it?...like on a computer!

No, you can only add more storage space via a microSD card. This isn't the source of 'slowness'.

Why did I have to buy this phone?
I don't know. It is CDMA phone, so unless you need CDMA access via your carrier you most likely over-paid as there are plenty of better options for a phone.

is there a way to save my info beore I Reset in Kies
Yes, you can do a backup in Kies.

or change it to Gingerbread or Jellybean?
Android 2.3 is Gingerbread, you said you are running 2.3. There is no newer software available.

Basically, if your phone was running okay, and now it is suddenly running slow, the cause of this is usually an app you downloaded. If you reset and update your phone, you'll have a nice clean slate to start from. However, if you feel like sleuthing yourself, you can start uninstalling apps in reverse order, to see which is the offending one. As I said before, it's a pretty low-end phone so demanding apps like FB, Pinterest, etc, probably won't run that great ever.

I'm so glad I found someone that has knowledge of these cells, because I don't! Thank You :)

I'm sure I overpaid, and I'm not happy about it, but I'd like to try and back up some of this info I have on this cell, but I don't know what to do to back it up, before doing a factory reset! I went into Kies and have no clue what to do next, or what to click on! I need some help!

The apps I have installed are:

Advanced Task Killer
Easy Battery Saver
The Weather Channel
FB Messenger
FB
Y Mail

Do you think anyone of these are not good?...I don't want to re-install them after doing a Factory Reset and end up with the same problem!

Btw, what is CDMA?

I clicked on your "backup" a bit further up in your message, and when I click on it, it doesn't show Sam's Galaxy at the top left of the layout! It also doesn't have Basic Information, Sync, Backup/Restore in my Kies... ???

I did install and upgrade, and have the newest version!

It also keeps saying "please connect a device"! I have my cell connected, so I don't know what the problem is! There is a box that comes up when I first connect that asks how I want to connect...not sure what to click here?

Didn't see anyone here suggest anything here but would it help if you would take a screenshot of the message so where also all the details could be seen? Not sure how to do that on your phone however all Android phones that I have tested has supported screenshots...so it might be worth a shot ;)

Didn't see anyone here suggest anything here but would it help if you would take a screenshot of the message so where also all the details could be seen? Not sure how to do that on your phone however all Android phones that I have tested has supported screenshots...so it might be worth a shot ;)

Hi DjKraid,

Thanks for replying! Not sure how I would take a screenshot of the text from the Cell...didn't know you could do that?

Also, I don't know how to back all my info up in Kies in order to reset, because it doesn't give me an option! I don't know what the problem is, and it doesn't even show that my device is connected! I don't know if you know anything about that? Arrrg, this is getting really frustrating!

Clean Master Free
Dr. Web Light or Free
That's about it all you need on these phones.

Most phones don't need any extra apps to take screenshots with, for ex. on my phone when I want to take a screenshot I just push n hold "volume down" and the power button at the same time. Then I can move it over to my comp or send it or what ever. You can google "how to take screenshots with #phone model#", that's how I first did it :p

I'm one of those that cannot take a screenshot of messages on my cell phone. If I had a message on it I needed, I could use my MS web cam. But even it don't give good pictures.

Screenshots were only native to Android 3 and above. Samsung TouchWiz may have a 3rd party solution baked in, but I'm not sure. As mentioned above, google it: "screenshot on samsung showcase"

The apps I have installed are:

Advanced Task Killer
Easy Battery Saver
The Weather Channel
Y Mail

Do not use Task Killer, or any alternative of it. Android does not need it and will perform worse and have less battery life if you use it in most cases.

Easy Battery Saver - can be worse battery life, even, or slightly better. Best option would be to delete it and just turn off wifi manually and adjust screen brightness down. Next-best option is to just make sure that the app isn't doing too many actions and is definitely not killing apps/tasks.

Make sure Weather Channel is set to manually fetch updates, along with YMail and FB too. Or, increase the time to once every couple hours. FB supports push notifications which should be enabled.

what is CDMA?
GSM, 3G, 4G, LTE, CDMA. You may hear these terms flying around, and they describe how the mobile device connects to towers.

Clean Master Free
Dr. Web Light or Free
That's about it all you need on these phones.

Dr Web is an antivirus. This will kill your phone performance and battery. It is not required, nor beneficial. Clean Master has task manager tasks included which are bad - however the 'clean' function may be good to run twice a year at most.

Now, since you have restored your phone and updated it, does your mobile internet work?

Screenshots were only native to Android 3 and above. Samsung TouchWiz may have a 3rd party solution baked in, but I'm not sure. As mentioned above, google it: "screenshot on samsung showcase"

Do not use Task Killer, or any alternative of it. Android does not need it and will perform worse and have less battery life if you use it in most cases.

Easy Battery Saver - can be worse battery life, even, or slightly better. Best option would be to delete it and just turn off wifi manually and adjust screen brightness down. Next-best option is to just make sure that the app isn't doing too many actions and is definitely not killing apps/tasks.

Make sure Weather Channel is set to manually fetch updates, along with YMail and FB too. Or, increase the time to once every couple hours. FB supports push notifications which should be enabled.

GSM, 3G, 4G, LTE, CDMA. You may hear these terms flying around, and they describe how the mobile device connects to towers.

Dr Web is an antivirus. This will kill your phone performance and battery. It is not required, nor beneficial. Clean Master has task manager tasks included which are bad - however the 'clean' function may be good to run twice a year at most.

Now, since you have restored your phone and updated it, does your mobile internet work?

You need it because there are apps on Play Store that are a menace. Dr. Web is the best one that doesn't pester you with ads and those slow down your cell phone. Also non-rooted cell phones have so much bloat-ware from CSP.

You need it because there are apps on Play Store that are a menace. Dr. Web is the best one that doesn't pester you with ads and those slow down your cell phone. Also non-rooted cell phones have so much bloat-ware from CSP.
  • Just be smart: look at reviews on Play store and don't download junk. Just like you don't click on "OMG U WON $2345635680 !!!!" banners on the Internet.
  • Ads are the least of your worries. If the AV is doing anything at all, it is scanning your phone and using valuable resources on a low-end device.
  • Original Samsung TouchWiz software does contain bloatware, yes, but I'm not sure how an AV can help with this. AV in itself is the best example of bloatware...
  • The greatest source of infections comes from people enabling 3rd party apps and downloading illegal apps to their phone.

Most phones don't need any extra apps to take screenshots with, for ex. on my phone when I want to take a screenshot I just push n hold "volume down" and the power button at the same time. Then I can move it over to my comp or send it or what ever. You can google "how to take screenshots with #phone model#", that's how I first did it :p

I'll give it a try and see if I can do it on my phone!

No, tried...all that does is shut my phone down :(

I'm confused you guys!

• Just be smart: look at reviews on Play store and don't download junk. Just like you don't click on "OMG U WON $2345635680 !!!!" banners on the Internet.
  • Ads are the least of your worries. If the AV is doing anything at all, it is scanning your phone and using valuable resources on a low-end device.
  • Original Samsung TouchWiz software does contain bloatware, yes, but I'm not sure how an AV can help with this. AV in itself is the best example of bloatware...
  • The greatest source of infections comes from people enabling 3rd party apps and downloading illegal apps to their phone.

So should I have Task Killer on here, or no? I just need to get this text somewhere safe...like on my computer, so I can print it out, and give it to a judge, and then I can just Reset the phone to whatever it needs to be!

FYI guys, I had AVG on here, and it did make my phone worse...at least it seemed like it! I did remove it, along with Easy Battery Saver! At this point it's just bad, no matter what I do!

However, it no longer says "Cannot connect to Network" when I tap on e-mail, FB, but that could change again with this phone!

Help!!! What should I do?

So should I have Task Killer on here, or no?

No, you shouldn't. Re-read my previous post where I gave you some answers.

I just need to get this text somewhere safe
Taking a photo of your phone showing it is your best bet, really. Just make sure the photo is readable.

However, it no longer says "Cannot connect to Network" when I tap on e-mail, FB, but that could change again with this phone!
It's likely that AVG was blocking the connection.

What to do now:
  1. Remove Task Killer, Battery Saver, AVG.
  2. Go to: Settings > Apps > All.
  3. Give me a list of every app you have installed.
  4. We'll check the list and let you know if there's any other bad app on there.

Back