Chaintech VNF4 Ultra VE Mobo, how to flash/update BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've come back to the forums in hopes you good people can help me out as you have numerous times before in my previous threads.

I just upgraded my Bro's PC, installed the "Chaintech VNF4 Ultra VE Mobo," I installed an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU. I went to Chaintechs website to check for latest drivers/updates for the Mobo. They have a new BIOS update (date: 6/03/2005)that allows the Mobo to support AMD 64 X2 (Dual Core) CPU's. I installed Win XP Pro w/SP2, everything seems to be running fine. I am not sure if my CPU is being supported & recognized as a Dual Core Chip, so I decided to try & flash/update the BIOS.

I D/L the BIOS update onto a floppy disk. I rebooted my PC, during the POST @ the bottom it states to hit "ATL+F2" to enter the AwardFlash Utility. I assume this is how one flashed/updates the BIOS. So did that, then it instructs me to place the floppy into the drive & hit ENTER, when I do, it takes me to an interface displaying the Award Flash Utility V8.57 & the following:

"For NF-CK804-VN61F210C-00 DATE:02/03/2005
FLASH TYPE-

FILE NAME TO PROGRAM: VN210603.BIN_"

@ the bottom of the page it says..."message: Please wait!" but the message keeps flashing & nothing happens. I've left it alone for 30 mins & when I came back the same screen & message still there.

Am I doing something wrong? I have flashed a BIOS on my Biostar Mobo which was located in the Bios setup page & went through smoothly. I assume something is wrong which is not allowing the BIOS to flash & install the latest BIOS update. I just want to make sure the BIOS is updated so that my AMD64 X2 CPU is supported & working fine. How does one check to make sure AMD 64 X2 Dual Core chips are running as Dual Core & are being recognized by the Mobos?

Any help suggestions are greatly appreciated. I already emailed chaintech support, but they have yet to respond. They only seem to support Mobos through emails & not over the phone.

TMSKILZ said:
Hello all,

I've come back to the forums in hopes you good people can help me out as you have numerous times before in my previous threads.

I just upgraded my Bro's PC, installed the "Chaintech VNF4 Ultra VE Mobo," I installed an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU. I went to Chaintechs website to check for latest drivers/updates for the Mobo. They have a new BIOS update (date: 6/03/2005)that allows the Mobo to support AMD 64 X2 (Dual Core) CPU's. I installed Win XP Pro w/SP2, everything seems to be running fine. I am not sure if my CPU is being supported & recognized as a Dual Core Chip, so I decided to try & flash/update the BIOS.

I D/L the BIOS update onto a floppy disk. I rebooted my PC, during the POST @ the bottom it states to hit "ATL+F2" to enter the AwardFlash Utility. I assume this is how one flashed/updates the BIOS. So did that, then it instructs me to place the floppy into the drive & hit ENTER, when I do, it takes me to an interface displaying the Award Flash Utility V8.57 & the following:

"For NF-CK804-VN61F210C-00 DATE:02/03/2005
FLASH TYPE-

FILE NAME TO PROGRAM: VN210603.BIN_"

@ the bottom of the page it says..."message: Please wait!" but the message keeps flashing & nothing happens. I've left it alone for 30 mins & when I came back the same screen & message still there.

Am I doing something wrong? I have flashed a BIOS on my Biostar Mobo which was located in the Bios setup page & went through smoothly. I assume something is wrong which is not allowing the BIOS to flash & install the latest BIOS update. I just want to make sure the BIOS is updated so that my AMD64 X2 CPU is supported & working fine. How does one check to make sure AMD 64 X2 Dual Core chips are running as Dual Core & are being recognized by the Mobos?

Any help suggestions are greatly appreciated. I already emailed chaintech support, but they have yet to respond. They only seem to support Mobos through emails & not over the phone.
There is a way to check if your Processor is being recognised as dual-core. Load up windows and press ctrl+atl+delete. CLick the performance tab and look at the CPU Usage History window. If there are 2 seperate windows, the processor is running in dual core mode. If there is just one, it is not.

MetalX said:
There is a way to check if your Processor is being recognised as dual-core. Load up windows and press ctrl+atl+delete. CLick the performance tab and look at the CPU Usage History window. If there are 2 seperate windows, the processor is running in dual core mode. If there is just one, it is not.

Hi Metal, thanks for the response. I just did as you suggested & there is only 1 window displayed under "CPU USAGE HISTORY" so I assume it's only recognizing the CPU as a single core? :mad:

Damn, why won't this flash go through?

Anyone else with suggestions? I am still awaiting for Chaintech tech Support to email me back. I also checked the 2 Cds that came with the mobo for any chance either Cd might contain a flash Utility, but neither does.

I really want to update BIOS so this mobo can recognize my AMD64 X2 as a dual Core CPU, right now it's only being recognized as a single core CPU, need the need update BIOS to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back