Challenge for those who are interested in a computer lockdown box...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A challenge was given to me by my computer science teacher. He has built a system running windows 98. It has no floppy, no CD, no external drives. The bet is that it is impossible to break into. I cannot open the case and look at the hardware, there is a secure BIOS password, windows login password, etc. Unknown security that also disables safe boot and dos logon via normal keyboard shotcuts, or so he says. Hrrmph...it would be simple, except that there is no floppy. This challenge extends to everyone, not just myself. Any ideas?

does it have a usb port? boot via a jump drive maybe? i know you can normally do this. dunno if he's done anything to counter that. i know you can't change the boot order, but its a thought.
nevermind, win 98 needs software for those.

You can't really do anything if the BIOS has boot password set. You can only unplug the thing and wait for the battery to wear out.

If the BIOS has only setup password protected and you can gt into Windows then it is piece of cake. You just skip the windows login window (unless there's some custom proggie installed) and do whatever you want in the system.

It may have a modem or LAN (WOL) start-parameter that may have been overlooked in the network-settings.
Can you "hack" it via internet once it is on?

What can you do on the PC as it stands? Can you boot into windows/dos, or do you only get as far as the bios security password? Are you allowed to open the case, or remove any panels that can allow access (e.g. front drive bay covers)? What ports does the PC have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back