change admin PW

By spookn
Jul 4, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had a bit of trouble this morning, and when I tried to get into the recovery console it wanted a admin PW. Which I don't remember putiing one in. ( I almost always use the same one, for this very reason. or if possible, use none)
    How do I go about changing it, especially if I don't remember it?
    XP pro SP2 (can't think of anything else that is needed)

I should add that I can log on as a user with admin rights. I jus couldn't use the recovery console on the XP CD. I may need it in the future, so I want to be able to.

thanks
    B
  2. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

You need to make the following regedit to stop the Recovery Console asking for a password.

Start | Run | Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

Exit Registry and Reboot
  3. spookn

spookn Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks for the info.
    i have to boot into the xp partition to make the change.
    If at all possible to explain, so I dont make same mistake twice, why was it asking for a PW? That has never happened before. I usually try to not set a PW, or if I do, I use the same one. It would't let me use any of the possible PW's I could think of. There is an outside chance that for some reason I can't think of, I used a new PW. Its just not likly.
    So at what point in the setup//install, did xp ask for it? I am positive I didn't change anything after that, and Its a new install.
    thanks
    B
  4. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

I don`t know the answer to that.It can happen if XP was loaded from a Sysprep image,
    or if the Console thinks the Administrator account has changed in some way.
    Why it does it ? Probably security reasons.

This is Windows.Some things are inexplicable. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.