change drive letters in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katateochi

hi, y'all (noob here!), ive been trying to install winXP pro on a machine with no CD drive and have followed instructions on one of the posts here, but i have come up with another problem. Ive got as far as getting win install files onto a FAT32 hard drive, booting with a win98 floppy and can begin to run the XP set up. My problem is that the HD with the install files is set to C:\. I want to install win to c:\ and therefore need to change the drive letter of the hard disk with the install files to something other than c:\ - and its this what i have no idea about how to achieve. If anyone could point me in the right direction for changing drive letters in DOS i would be most grateful, Cheers
K

Well im assuming you have 2 Hard Drives in there. Boot to your win98 startup floppy. Once at the command prompt, type fdisk. Format your "C:\" drive, then format the other Fat32 drive. That drive will take on a letter and you should be good. That or you could go to any computer store and just buy a cdrom...you will need it in the long run. That or just take a cdrom from one computer and temporarily place it in the one that has no cd drive....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back