TechSpot

change drive letters in DOS

By Katateochi
Jan 29, 2007
  1. hi, y'all (noob here!), ive been trying to install winXP pro on a machine with no CD drive and have followed instructions on one of the posts here, but i have come up with another problem. Ive got as far as getting win install files onto a FAT32 hard drive, booting with a win98 floppy and can begin to run the XP set up. My problem is that the HD with the install files is set to C:\. I want to install win to c:\ and therefore need to change the drive letter of the hard disk with the install files to something other than c:\ - and its this what i have no idea about how to achieve. If anyone could point me in the right direction for changing drive letters in DOS i would be most grateful, Cheers
    K

2. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook TS Rookie Posts: 320

Well im assuming you have 2 Hard Drives in there. Boot to your win98 startup floppy. Once at the command prompt, type fdisk. Format your "C:\" drive, then format the other Fat32 drive. That drive will take on a letter and you should be good. That or you could go to any computer store and just buy a cdrom...you will need it in the long run. That or just take a cdrom from one computer and temporarily place it in the one that has no cd drive....

3. Katateochi

Katateochi TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cheers m8, that helped. Got the install working to the correct drive now ;-)

4. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook TS Rookie Posts: 320

Glad to help. Enjoy!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.