Change hard drive space to RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
its called Virtual Memory, or the Pagefile. Windows already does this, though you can change the settings to increase or decrease the space used in order to help optimize performance.

yes virtual ram, but its not as good and its not a cheaper way to increase memory. To do it, go to control panels, then system, then advanced, then performance settings, then advanced then virtual memory "change" then set what ever you want, i think the recommened amount is 1.5times your current ram. I wouldnt change this is you dont know what your doing thou :)

I have read somewhere that pagefile is only good if you don't have allot of memory
other then that its just crap right?
Cause it's kinda slow and stuff....

Virtual Memory is Necessary

Windows always needs some of your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) space allocated as virtual memory - even if you have 2 gigs of system memory. HDD activity is ALWAYS slower than RAM activity because the HDD is an electro-MECHANICAL device, meaning that it has moving parts e.g. the spinning platters, read/write heads, stepper motor, head-actuator, etc. RAM, in contrast, is purely electrical - no moving parts involved and therefore moves almost at the speed of electricity (the speed of electricity less latency time for refreshes and wait states).

Since Windows always needs some HDD space allocated as VM, you should NEVER disable VM. One way to (slightly) increase your system performance, regarding VM, is to set a static amount of VM instead of letting windows assign a dynamic range. Having a dynamic amount of VM creates extra overhead for the system since it will have to constantly adjust the size as Windows writes to the page file. Setting the min and max to the same value will elliminate the need to Windows to constantly adjust the size as it's being used. Mine is set to 2048 for min and max. Your ideal size will vary depending on the amount of RAM and HDD space available.

dgower2 said:
Since Windows always needs some HDD space allocated as VM, you should NEVER disable VM.
Why do you say that? I've had pagefile off lots of times before with no adverse effects.

dgower2 said:

Don't always believe everything Microsoft says. Even if they did create the OS, they aren't always right and in some cases a company says something to try and 'protect' "unknowing" users from doing something only an expert should do.

It's ok to disable swap files. You have to determine the optimal amount of swap to use depending on how much RAM you have (or whether to use it all). It's "hit and miss". You have to experiment and see what works best.

dgower2 said:
Windows always needs some of your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) space allocated as virtual memory - even if you have 2 gigs of system memory. HDD activity is ALWAYS slower than RAM activity because the HDD is an electro-MECHANICAL device, meaning that it has moving parts e.g. the spinning platters, read/write heads, stepper motor, head-actuator, etc. RAM, in contrast, is purely electrical - no moving parts involved and therefore moves almost at the speed of electricity (the speed of electricity less latency time for refreshes and wait states).

Since Windows always needs some HDD space allocated as VM, you should NEVER disable VM. One way to (slightly) increase your system performance, regarding VM, is to set a static amount of VM instead of letting windows assign a dynamic range. Having a dynamic amount of VM creates extra overhead for the system since it will have to constantly adjust the size as Windows writes to the page file. Setting the min and max to the same value will elliminate the need to Windows to constantly adjust the size as it's being used. Mine is set to 2048 for min and max. Your ideal size will vary depending on the amount of RAM and HDD space available.

95% of Windows apps will function fine with the pagefile disabled. The kernel will still page out if it needs to. There are a few apps, such as Adobe Photoshop, that will go ballistic if you do not have a pagefile. However, if you have plenty of ram, and rarely fill it up, disabling the pagefile will likely not have any bad side effects.

Or, you could use linux, and not ever have to use swap at all if you have enough ram.

dgower2 said:
I read that, and it doesn't say anywhere (that I saw) that you absolutely have to have one. It actually doesn't even mention disabling it, even though its an option when you go to where he says to change it.

My main machine at home has 1gig of ram, and I have no pagefile. Its my understanding that windows still uses a little one even if you have it all turned off.

Photoshop 7 does throw a fit when I open it (it asks you if you want to continue loading), but with what little I do in Photoshop I haven't noticed a problem. I do have scratch disk set up in photoshop though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back