TechSpot

changing antivirus package

By kimsou
Jan 12, 2007
  1. My Norton which I bought on line a year ago expires in a few days and I've been advised to buy a CD kit but would like some good advice: G Data AVK or Kaspersky or ? and will this cover everything I need in the way of antivirus/spam/internet security? Thanks to anyone who can help really soon.

2. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

If I were you I would search around this site and see what everyone else is using or recommends. Personally I would go with AVG and drop ANYTHING that Norton offers.

BTW.....Welcome to TS!

3. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Ok so why does everyone slam Norton, true the Internet suite is bloatware, but if you just go for the standard AV package it works no problems, I used it with no problems for many years.

I use AVG now as its free unlike Norton which costs money and i'm tightar**d, but thats the only reason I hasten to add.

Regards

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

The reasons I don`t like Norton are these.
    It`s a resource hog.
    It can be a pain in the rear to uninstall.
    It isn`t that good at killing viruses.
    It`s expensive.
    It`s responsible for causing system crashes. I used to see this quite a lot when I used to do the minidump threads.
    It`s crap.

Regards Howard :)

5. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

I take it then you dont like Norton products H ? :D

6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Got it in one mate, though, it`s their Antivirus/security software that I`m talking about and not any of their other products lol.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.