Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive

Larsenex

Greetings, I have posted repeatedly over in the BSOD area on an issue I am having. That's not why I am here. I am thinking on going from a cached drive that I have now to a separate SSD and a platter drive.

Let me explain. I currently have a 60 gig SSD and a 1 Terrabyte Corsair HDD. I use the 60gig as a cache drive using Intels SRT. I have no proof but I am leaning towards my little ssd as the cause of why I am having issues. With that said bear with with me.

I wanted to get a new SSD and install Windows on it and 2 or 3 of my games on it and use the Terrabyte obviously for storage and non essential programs. I currently have Win 7 Pro 64 on my Terrabyte drive.

Can I pull both drives out, (After decelerating it of course.) And put in a new Corsair Force SSD say, (180 gigs), install windows, my games and than reconnect the HDD (which has windows on it.)?

All that text just for a simple question.

Also can I remove the Windows Folder or 'uninstall' Windows on the Terrabyte drive or should I just leave it?

Thanks much!

Best way - pull the data from the drives, then format them. Put data back on.

But, yeah, your suggestion should work too. Just watch out for the duplicate MBR entries upon boot.

I use carbonite to back up my drive. I have nearly HALF of the Terrabyte filled with music and movies and pictures. I would really like to AVOID formatting if I have to but will.

Is 180 Gigs enough for Win 7, Java, Win essentials, and games like EQ2, WoW or Civ 5?

Back