TechSpot

Changing from a cached drive to an SSD and a platter drive

By Larsenex
Aug 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Greetings, I have posted repeatedly over in the BSOD area on an issue I am having. That's not why I am here. I am thinking on going from a cached drive that I have now to a separate SSD and a platter drive.

Let me explain. I currently have a 60 gig SSD and a 1 Terrabyte Corsair HDD. I use the 60gig as a cache drive using Intels SRT. I have no proof but I am leaning towards my little ssd as the cause of why I am having issues. With that said bear with with me.

I wanted to get a new SSD and install Windows on it and 2 or 3 of my games on it and use the Terrabyte obviously for storage and non essential programs. I currently have Win 7 Pro 64 on my Terrabyte drive.

Can I pull both drives out, (After decelerating it of course.) And put in a new Corsair Force SSD say, (180 gigs), install windows, my games and than reconnect the HDD (which has windows on it.)?

All that text just for a simple question.

Also can I remove the Windows Folder or 'uninstall' Windows on the Terrabyte drive or should I just leave it?

Thanks much!

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Best way - pull the data from the drives, then format them. Put data back on.

But, yeah, your suggestion should work too. Just watch out for the duplicate MBR entries upon boot.

3. Larsenex

Larsenex TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

I use carbonite to back up my drive. I have nearly HALF of the Terrabyte filled with music and movies and pictures. I would really like to AVOID formatting if I have to but will.

Is 180 Gigs enough for Win 7, Java, Win essentials, and games like EQ2, WoW or Civ 5?

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Yes

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.