TechSpot

changing hard drive

By DeeJay55
Feb 9, 2006
  1. Hi ,iam Deejay ,
    A Lady That Signed Up Yesterday.what I Need To Know,i Have A Dell 2400,with 512 Memory, I Also Have Another Dell,that Only Has 156 Memory,don't Know What It Is 2400 Or What. Anyway What I Am Asking Is Can I Take The Hard Drive And Memory Out Of The 2400,its Xp, And Put It In The Other Tower, It's Windows 98, And Will It Work .i Am Doing This, The Case The 2400 Is In Is In Real Bad Shape And There Are Some Other Reasons But I Won't Go Into It ,i Just Need To Know Will It Work If I Switch Them.?or Do I Have To Switch A Whole Bunch Of Stuff Or Will I Have To Reformat The One That The Windows 98 Hard Drive Comes Out Of.i Have The Disks To Do That . Please Advise. Thank You Dee

2. djleyo

djleyo TS Rookie Posts: 42

well???

since you dont know what memory you have on the 2 computers im pretty sure they have diff speeds one could be ddr400 and the otherddr266 that means you cant just swap the mem to the other motherboard your computer could crash about the hardrive that more simple you just need to setup the jumpers on the back of the HD i recomend to check the mem types in your pcs before you change them :grinthumb

3. DeeJay55

DeeJay55 TS Rookie Topic Starter

memory

the dell 2400 has 512 mb, the other i'm not quite sure, but i will have them checked out tomorrow, i have a place i can take them to that doesn't charge me an arm an a leg. i might see if they will exchange them for me. i no how to do it i just wanted to be sure i wouldn't crash it.the 512 is with the hard drive i am taking out of the 2400 dell, those are together.if any speed is there i sure don't know it with this dell , i am on it right now . and i hate it . i hope to get my hewett packard back in a couple weeksa. i miss it a lot.

THANK YOU FOR YOU ANSWER I DIDN'T NO ANYTHING ABOUT ANY SPEED .LIKE I SAID THIS ONE IS SLOWER THEN GRANDMA. :D DEE

4. Druegan

Druegan TS Rookie

Bit of a clarifier statement here..

RAM has 2 characteristics.. size and speed. Size is your typical 128, 256, 512, etc in megabytes. Or 1 or 2 gigabytes, if you have really high capacity sticks.

Speed is rated in Megahertz (mhz), but the labeling system used by RAM makers can be a little funky for those new to it. A lot of time you'll see RAM labeled as PC3200, or DDR400.. both of which mean the same thing.. that the RAM in question runs at 400mhz.

A quick reference chart for ram speeds:
    PC1600 = DDR200 = 200mhz
    PC2100 = DDR266 = 266mhz
    PC2700 = DDR333 = 333mhz
    PC3200 = DDR400 = 400mhz
    PC3500 = DDR433 = 433mhz
    PC4000 = DDR500 = 500mhz
    PC4200 = DDR533 = 533mhz

That being said, there are also several different TYPES of ram out there.

There are 72-pin DRAM SIMMs (SIMM standing for Single Inline Memory Module), 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs (DIMM standing for Dual Inline Memory Module), 184-pin RDRAM RIMMs (RIMM standing for Rambus Inline Memory Module), 232-pin RDRAM RIMMs, 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMS (by FAR the most common memory type you will find these days) and 184-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs.

The most likely variety that you have is the 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM.. DDR is by FAR the most used ram type, and is what the chart above deals with.

The Dell Dimension 2400 series runs 333mhz DDR SDRAM. That means it's running PC2700 most likely, although it IS possible to run PC3200 on the system with the speed turned down to 333mhz in the BIOS.

If you can look around on the other Dell case and find out what model of Dell it is, I can look up the type of ram it uses.. or you can look it up yourself at http://www.crucial.com. They have a nifty ram lookup on the front page.

Mis-matching ram types is a bad thing though. It gives your comp a seizure really quickly.. usually won't even boot till the offending ram is removed.

Hard Drives, however, are a much easier issue. If the hard drive in the new Dell case is the only device connected to that particular cable, then all you need to do is ensure that the jumpers on the drive are set to "master". (there should be a little chart somewhere on the drive itself explaining the jumpers.)

If that is the case, all you need to do is pull the drive out of the 2400 and set the jumper on it to "slave" and hook it up to the other connector on the same cable as the other hard drive in the new Dell case and mount it into the drive cage.

I hope this explains things a bit better. Let me know if there's anything that needs clarifying, or if you have any problems.

Regards,
    Druegan

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.