Changing Mobo Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kf21291

Hi all,

I am having a problem with this new mobo that i bought. I installed everything properly. turned it on and it was working but as it booted it said overclocking error so i went to BIOs and put ingored on the CPU fan speed. Then it was gone. After then i rebooted installed windows XP and it was fine.
Now here is the part that makes no sense to me i took my computer and moved it cautiously nothing fell and connected and computer was on and... the monitor displayed nothing the hard drive light on and after a while it shutted off. This is what i know: Memory is Fine, CPU is Fine, Mobo - Unsure, Hard Drive is Fine, Video Card is Fine. And i moved the computer back to the original spot where i know the monitor is connected properly and same thing as before... After that i took my old mobo and installed it same problem the monitor won't display all my LEDs are lighted up my fans are on.
Mobo - Asus - 4S800D - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131527

Please help me thank you.

ok i got too update some info now that i been trying to fix it. Now the Problem is that the computer shuts off every time i turn it on EX: It boots says overclocking error please make changes to your system (something like that) and i have no idea how to fix it. 2nd problem i can't get in bios everytime i try it just turns off. please help thank you!

Sounds like you got a board with a faulty BIOS. Return it. I had that problem with 4 Asus boards in the past 6 months. I switched to Abit.

thank you for your quick response but i am not sure how come it was working before then now it has this problem and how can u fix the overclocking error if possible before i return it thanks

I am not familiar with that MB, one thing you could try in order to get into the bios is to reset it with the jumper. Then get in there and set the bios settings to safe or whatever the equiv is just to get it working.

Are there any jumpers for CPU settings on the MB or is it just a bios setting. If you are manually trying to set it please do a google search on the chip you are using as to the proper settings. Keep in mind that if you have a 2800+ that does not mean the multiplier and the bus speed calculated will equal 2800. It will seem like you are underclocking but you will be doing things right.

If you plan to overclock get it running first then start playing with that.

As one poster said you could be dealing with a bad bios rule everything out first. Also recheck the heatsink and fan, it does not take much for that to mess things up. Have you also replaced the Power Supply? The good news is you are getting some sort of error message, it is better to post then not to post.

thanks but the jumpers for the CPU are jumper free and if i remember correctly i set manual in the bios then it was working. I am not sure why it suddenly crashes did i do something wrong and if all options are gone i will get a replacement and the power supply is the same came with the case and never have problems with it i am quite sure that it works cause it turns on properly

You set the cpu manually, what setting did you set up and what is the chip. Sometimes it is best to go to intel's or amd's site to get the proper multiplier and bus speed, it is not simple math as it once was. Is there is an auto setting on the bios to let the motherboard set the cpu settings for you? If so maybe you should use those, all though some motherboards have problems with this most of the time they do pretty good.

There are normally a couple different sets of bios defaults you could use, like optimal (fastest but chance for errors), normal (middle of the road) and safe (I just want this thing to work). If you keep getting an overclock error and the bios is fine then maybe you are overclocking. If you really want to maually set up the cpu settings, look it up first. Just for simplictiy sake (I know not real world), a simple 1400 bus speed with a 2 multiplier will not work on a 2800+ chip and in fact will overclock it.

Sorry i had a typo in there it was i set manual in the bios When it was working
not then so bios doesn't work so i can't quite change the bus speed to make the cpu overclock and u have to know which i am not sure i had said that, when the overclocking error occurs at start up the computer shuts off so i can't access windows (including the fact even getting in bios shuts it off)

Kf21291 said:
thanks but the jumpers for the CPU are jumper free and if i remember correctly i set manual in the bios then it was working.

Kf21291 said:
thank you for your quick response but i am not sure how come it was working before then now it has this problem and how can u fix the overclocking error if possible before i return it thanks

It could be the way you attach the board - there could be an insulation problem, somewhere the board is touching the casing - get proper washer. :confused:

i just checked and it should be ok how the board is installed just the overclocking errors which might not even be the reason the computer constantly shuts off when i enter in bios but i got this far i can access bios BUT the computer shuts off maybe within 5 mins on turn on or less so i am not completly sure of the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back