Changing Motherboard and Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas. I was looking into changing my motherboard, and I realized that I was not provided a Windows XP cd when I purchased my computer. After doing some searching, I did notice that the manufacturer created an I386 folder with the associated XP files on my hard drive.

If I switched motherboards, I was wondering if there would be some way I could reinstall XP again without having to buy a new CD. I appreciate any comments. Thanks a lot everyone.

Unless you get an identical motherboard, you'll have to buy xp. Most pre-built systems either come with a "restore" xp cd or a "restore" xp hard drive partition. Neither of these can be used on another motherboard. Xp home is $90 u.s. for the oem version.

I know, it stinks. I can guess why microsoft likes it though $$$.

You can replace the board if you remove all the old motherboard and video drivers for the old board first. But there is a good chance that you will trigger the activation. Thats not a problem if you have a valid product key.

If you are contemplating replacing the motherboard in an OEM system with anything other than an exact replacement OEM motherboard this procedure is likely going to fail. Why? Part of this procedure involves doing a Repair Installation of Windows XP. To perform a Repair Installation it's necessary to have a Microsoft supplied bootable XP Installation CD; not one of the Recovery CD's or a system where the operating system installation files are stored on a hidden partition on the hard drive like many Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM's) supply. Click this link and read through the section called Windows Installation CD - Repair Current Installation before you proceed if this applies to your situation.

Also read: LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back