Changing Motherboards....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, the Motherboard on My Emachines computer went bad, and all attempts to get it to work failed. However, I have decided recently to purchase a new mother board to replace it. What I want to know is if I put the new Mobo in, will the Harddrive recognize it? More specifically, once I install it, can I simply turn on the computer and will it work like normal?

if you are replacing it with the exact same motherboard there wont be a problem. if it is the same chipset as the previous motherboard there shouldnt be a problem. if you switch from an intel to a via chipset then there may be a problem.

changing from one type of chipset to a different type can cause many problems ranging from, "It wont boot" to system instability. if it is a different mobo of better quality using the same or similar chipset then there shouldnt be a problem.

one other thing though, if Emachines is still using recovery disks instead of supplying an OS disk then you arent going to reinstall windows from the recovery dsik after changing mobo's. so you will either need a XP disk or create a OS disk from the recovery disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back