Changing primary partition

By Wiggz
Mar 12, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here's my issue:
    I currently have Windows Vista Home x64 as my primary OS/partition. I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on a separate partition. However, when I did so I did not allocate enough hard drive space for that partition. When attempting to shrink the Vista partition I am told that I can only shrink it by about 1/2 a gigabyte. What I'm ultimately trying to do (if possible) is completely remove that partition (I've already transferred all my files) and give all that space to the W7 partition. Currently I can't because the Vista partition is my primary and "active" drive. I've found online that some programs can do this, but so far they all seem to have a cost attached to them. Any ideas on how I can do this without dishing out any cash? Thanks in advance.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,461   +135

Have you looked at Partition Magic?
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,285   +155

You want to change the "active" partition (you can have up to 4 primary partitions. Only primary partitions can be booted. Windows boots the active primary)

I know EASUS Partition Manager can do it. As i recall, select the partition properties then select Set Active
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.