TechSpot

Changing the name of a drive in BIOS?

By amy220
Jan 24, 2006
  1. I recently got a new Dell Dimension 9100, and it came with a DVD-Rom and DVD-R/RW. I'm not sure about the information for the DVD-R/RW, as my BIOS is currently not recognizing it. I am using a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 wireless adapter, and it is somehow causing my DVD-R/RW to not be recognized by the BIOS.

When the wireless adapter is plugged in, upon booting the computer I'll be told that it "cannot find Drive 5." I looked in the BIOS, and the DVD-R/RW is Drive 5. I have to take the wireless adapter out and reboot one or two times before the BIOS will recognize it. When I boot it up and the drive works, I can put the wireless adapter in and both will work. But then I shut down the computer, and when I reboot with the adapter in, it won't work. When I reboot with the adapter out, I still get that "Drive 5" message, but I only get it after both the DVD-R/RW and wireless adapter were used.

This is frustrating. My father doesn't know what to do, and I haven't been able to find any information that could help me. Is there any way I can change the DVD-R/RW from Drive 5 to something else and maybe solve this? If I've managed to confuse you, I'm sorry; just tell me and I'll try to explain.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Try playing around with IRQ and plug an play settings. Try toggling legacy USB/USB interrupt, plug and play BIOS, APIC, disable VGA interrupt. Disable any devices you don't use in BIOS - turn off parallel and serial ports for example.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.