Chaning FSB Frequency Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( I have this computer for awhile and it was working fine but I had to clear the cmos awhile back and ever since then When I try to set my FSB back too 200MHZ, It willl boot up windows fine and stay on for about 2 mins then shut off but if I turn the FSB to 100MHZ the computer will run fine

NF7-S2G
AMD Athlon XP 3200
2 Dimms Of Crosair value Ram 1GB

I have done the memtest+
I have Cleared the battery
Changed ram

I have no clue what is wrong please help!

hi Livinglegend912 and welcome to TechSpot :)

if your CPU's default FSB is 200MHz then you should not have to set it manually, after you cleared CMOS is should have already been set to 200MHz. does your motherboard have a CPU speed switch or jumper on the board itself (not in BIOS)? if so, make sure it it set correctly.

try the "failsafe" default settings in BIOS

it all that is set correctly (nothing overclocked, etc.) then it may be a hardware issue like a failing power supply.

why did you have to clear CMOS? did you change any hardware recently?

:wave:

Well I looked at the manual and there is nothing for cpu speed switch built on my board and I also tried switching out the powersupply but got no dice
I cleared the cmos awhile back because I had bad ram

when i clear the cmos its like it goes into failsafe mode and when I take out the battery it is in the right 200 FSB but still will not run for more then a few seconds before shutting its self off

I forgot to mention that my mouse corsair will lag time to time, while doing the simples of job, even by draging it across the screen, I'm guessing this si part of the problem too

Use a simple old bulbous Microsoft or Compaq mouse PS/w mouse and PS/2 keyboard... Remove all your USB stuff.
If that doesn't work, use one of the Basics tricks.
Remove all but the power supply, one memory module, and video connection. NO hdd, no optical drive. Boot to an MS-DOS or Windows 98 Boot disc. Does it run? That tells you something. Change memory module, try again.
The idea is get it running with just the basics of DOS or Windows 95 or 98 on a floppy, then add a component, until you find the point where it no longer works.
This will also help you think things through that you may have missed with a more complex setup.

well I just took off everything and booted into windows 98 from a floppy and it seems that the problem is still accuring, I'm so stumbed on this problem. could it just be that my cpu got fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back