Cheapest GPU that has a HDMI input?

HeWentToJareds

I want a video card that connects to my hdtv via hdmi cables. Do not want to use the dvi to hdmi converter because of the loss of sound.
thanks

would this be able to run dual monitors easily?
and perhaps starcraft 2 on medium settings?
the 64 bit memory interface is making me skeptical

thanks for the suggestion

ati 4650 is the best choice among the 3 you listed. but it would be great if you can get the GDDR3 version instead, probably few bucks more.

I am running a similar setup using a 25" LCD and a HDTV via HDMI. The card I ended up getting was the geforce 9500gt although mine was an Asus. I paid 65 - 20 (rebate) = 45.. I also got a hold of a utility called Ultramon which makes life a whole lot easier when running dual monitors. I am not a gamer and I use the TV for watching videos. I used to have a TV tuner card in my PC but since my TV has a built in tuner, I eliminated that.. If you want the PC to recognize the TV as the second monitor you need to power it on before your PC boots.

Simple. I only have regular cable. Programming sucks for the most part and not much worth recording. Also this setup is in my computer room. I have a regular home theater in my living room where I also watch DVD's, Blu-Rays etc. Haven't broken down and got a DVR/cable box or satellite TV for that matter. The way I have it now I dont even need to have the PC on to watch TV in my computer room.

ati 4650 is the best choice among the 3 you listed. but it would be great if you can get the GDDR3 version instead, probably few bucks more.

ok thanks. If I were to play a blu ray movie, would i see improvement with the ddr3 versus the ddr2, or would that just help my gaming?

Just a note about blu-ray or DVD's for that matter. If you are happy with the sound from the TV that's fine with the HDMI, BUT if you want better sound don't expect the card to carry the sound correctly to the TV. At least that is my case. I run the sound separately to a surround sound receiver. I really have not fiddled with it to see if I can get the TV to reproduce the sound from videos. I would rather have the better sound from a dedicated sound system.

Either will work without issues. However, the ATI card will allow you to employ more shaders to increase picture quality, without significantly affecting the CPU in any way. It will also run cooler than the NVIDIA card, which also reportedly has problems with the fan being extremely noisy and subject to failure.

I found this one with ddr3 and directx 11 support (not that I care for it), for about the same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131355

or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121347&cm_re=gt220-_-14-121-347-_-Product

i think im gonna go with the nvidia one because i didn't like my last ati card

if you want nvidia, perhaps GT240? If the rebate is still on it would be much better deal than the one you mentioned earlier.

---

ok thanks. If I were to play a blu ray movie, would i see improvement with the ddr3 versus the ddr2, or would that just help my gaming?

I don't think it will help significantly. When I upgraded my graphic card, my games is 'faster' but not my 1920x1080 movies :D

Back