Check disk & installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenaki

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is the right forum for me to ask but I don't know whereelse to post this thread.

I have 2 different issues that I need help from any "guru" here.

1. When I run the checkdisk from tool tab. It runs ok on phase 1 but at the end of phase 2 it finally says : "unable to complete test (or Check) " . but when I used TuneXP to check the disk, in the beginning it says " warning : F parameter not specified, running chkdsk in read-only mode " other than that warning, it doesn't say anything else till it finish. So I'm just wondering if my hard disk is really ok before I start defragmenting it . I also plan to defragment the boot files using ultra fast boot optimization and pagedefrag too but not sure if these actions are really safe considering the above checkdisk result.

2. The second problem I have with my laptop is whenever I try to diagnose problems using DELL's original Driver & Utilities CD, my pc just shuts down by itself after a few minutes running the diagnostic. I tried a couple times checking different areas but it always turns off at no regular time .

The same thing happens everytime I try to re install the windows xp operating system using the original CD from Dell.
Fyi, I am using Dell Inspiron 700m laptop with Home windows xp.

I really don't understand what's going on so could anybody help and would really appreciate if you can guide me through...

Thanks.

Ken

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is the right forum for me to ask but I don't know whereelse to post this thread.

Never fear asking something in here its what we do for fun...

I have 2 different issues that I need help from any "guru" here.

Not sure if i count as a Guru but here goes...

kenaki;61 47761 said:
. When I run the checkdisk from tool tab. It runs ok onphase 1 but at the end of phase 2 it finally says : "unable to complete test (or Check) " .

Thats because it cant lock the disk and access it fully as there are programs that are constantly writing to the disk...

kenaki;61 47761 said:
. but when I used TuneXP to check the disk, in the beginning it says " warning : F parameter not specified, running chkdsk in read-only mode " other than that warning, it doesn't say anything else till it finish.

again its running in read only mode as it cant lock the disk due to programs writing to the fisk

kenaki;61 47761 said:
. So I'm just wondering if my hard disk is really ok before I start defragmenting it . I also plan to defragment the boot files using ultra fast boot optimization and pagedefrag too but not sure if these actions are really safe considering the above checkdisk result .

To run defrag in full mode use the /f parameter when issueing the command, so its chkdsk /f at a dos prompt, you will be told it cant lock the disk and ask if you want to schedule a disk check at reboot, answer yes and then reboot.

kenaki;61 47761 said:
.2. The second problem I have with my laptop is whenever I try to diagnose problems using DELL's original Driver & Utilities CD, my pc just shuts down by itself after a few minutes running the diagnostic. I tried a couple times checking different areas but it always turns off at no regular time .

The same thing happens everytime I try to re install the windows xp operating system using the original CD from Dell.
Fyi, I am using Dell Inspiron 700m laptop with Home windows xp. .

Not sure what's causing that to happen though, it sounds as though it may be a power fault perhaps the test is consuming to much current and it shuts off.. someone else may have a better idea, out of interest have you tried contacting Dell about the problem.

Regards

Thank you so much for replying Ididmyc600 (for simplicity, I'll call you Idid if you don't mind). I'm glad that after waiting for 2 days and so many people read my post and yet no one reply finally you did. Perhaps I shouldn't have put the word "guru" on my post, as I'll take any advice I can get from anybody.

When I check the disk, I didn't use any command because I check it by using the tool tab and Check now button and the only program still stand by (not checking ) are my zone alarm firewall, and spydoctor . Are these 2 programmes interfering ? so I'll try to re-check disk again and thise time I'll turn off these 2 programs and I'll let you know the result.

As for my second problem, I have not contacted Dell because my warranty is expired and they would ask me to send my computer to them and start charging me. I'll wait perhaps anybody in Techspot have had the same experience or know how to solve this issue.

Rgd

Ken

Thank you so much for replying Ididmyc600 (for simplicity, I'll call you Idid if you don't mind).

No I dont mind at all, i call myself that because when I first joined this forum i was looking for advice on how to clear a password on a Dell lat C600 and did it, hence the name..

I'm glad that after waiting for 2 days and so many people read my post and yet no one reply finally you did. Perhaps I shouldn't have put the word "guru" on my post, as I'll take any advice I can get from anybody.

Seems there is a lack these days of people who want to answer posts in this forum, whether its a decline in interest or because most of us are sick of the same posts from people who just dont bother doing the most basic checks before posting i dont know.

When I check the disk, I didn't use any command because I check it by using the tool tab and Check now button

Yeah like i said use the chkdsk /f command at a dos prompt if you want to do a proper defrag then you need to start in safe mode so that there are no programs running,

As for my second problem, I have not contacted Dell because my warranty is expired and they would ask me to send my computer to them

Dell have a good support forum on their site try posting your comment in there first they are usually quite helpful.

Regards

I did finally check disk using the dos prompt and turned out good. I also have rearranged the boot files using "ultrafast booting" feature from Tune XP. I don't know if you are familiar with this software but if you do, I wanna ask you, am I am supposed to use the "defrag bootfile" feature first before using the ultrafast booting ? Secondly, since I already used the ultrafast booting before the defrag bootfile, is it ok for me to do the defrag bootfile now ? should I ?

As for the Dell support forum, I will try now. thx for the info.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back