TechSpot

Check out the camera gear that Getty Images is using to cover the Olympics

By Shawn Knight
Feb 7, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. All eyes will be on Sochi over the next couple of weeks as the world's greatest athletes compete in the 22nd Winter Olympics. We'll no doubt be treated to some spectacular sights and sounds from Russia but have you ever...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Wow, I wonder how much of it will mysteriously disappear from hotel rooms and camera bags.

Jad Chaar, St1ckM4n and H3llion like this.
  3. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Evangelist Posts: 334   +101

Lol ^ without seeing that comment I was going to say something similar..

H3llion likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

How long is the fuse on these? :)

5. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Like to get my dirty hands on these :)

6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

When your countries in debt just host a Olympics to make it all seem like your not in debt :)

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

Gee and I thought all they did was haul out their phones and start snapping away :)

learninmypc likes this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

Just get a few government officials to steal the photographic equipment (they're all experienced thieves anyway) and sell it on the black market.

wastedkill likes this.
  9. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,550   +852

You dont have to be experienced; apparently the hotels don't have doorknobs half the time.

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,688   +1,879

I missed the opening ceremonies. Did the Russian Mob's Ice Hooking Team participate?

11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Opening ceremony was great. It put summer London Olympics to utter and total shame.

Too bad our lame Australian TV broadcaster chopped and changed the order and kept skipping parts..

12. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow $7000 for each camera. Now that is something.

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,688   +1,879

No, a huge chunk of the money is tied up in those fast, long, telephoto lenses.

Either the 400 F2.8, or 500 F4.0, you can have your choice of for about ten grand a pop. [​IMG]

Once upon a time, even the best SLR body was the "accessory ", as compared to that long sports glass. The high end digital bodies are closer to the prices of the lenses, but still a lot cheaper.

Even the 300 F2.8, is pushing seven grand.

[​IMG]
    (Those images aren't to scale. The 400mm is much larger, and the 500 mm (top) is gigantic

Punch up your calculator, and add up the quantity costs of just those 3 lenses....I guarantee you'll be impressed.....:eek:

Jad Chaar likes this.
  14. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Arent those optics handmade? I think that is why they are so expensive.

15. DanielJ

DanielJ TS Rookie

Interesting, why 14mm and 15mm fisheyes, both? Why 70-200 not 2nd ver, why not at least 1 24-70/2.8