Check out the most Googled car brands in every country

midian182

Staff member

While it isn’t 100 percent accurate, the number of Google searches performed on a product often indicates its popularity in locations across the world. UK autoparts company Quicko has applied the technique to car brand searches throughout 2016, and it shows that when it comes to vehicles, national loyalty often doesn’t play a part.

Leading the way as the most Googled car brand in the world is Toyota. The Japanese firm is the most searched-for car term in 74 countries, including the US, most of central and western Africa, China, and Australia. In second place is BMW, which took the top spot in 51 countries. Hyundai, meanwhile, is third – the South Korean firm is most Googled car brand in 17 countries.

You might have expected certain car brands to always be most popular in their home countries, but this is only the case in Germany (BMW), France (Renault), Sweden (Volvo), and Italy (Fiat). Interestingly, Volvo and Fiat were ranked highest only in their country of origin, nowhere else.

While Chevrolet missed out on being the number one brand in its native US, the company topped Google searches in Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, and Ecuador.

One particularly unusual result comes from the African nation of Niger, where supercar manufacturer Bugatti is the most Googled automaker. It's suspected that the searches are carried out by people who wish to see videos of the cars in action or check out their specs, rather than actually buy one.

Quicko has includes one caveat in its findings: Google isn’t the most used search engine in several of the larger economies, including Russia, China, and South Korea - using these regions’ local search engines would have given a more accurate indication of which car brand search was most popular. But Google still has quite a large presence in these nations.

Permalink to story.

I am sure this is VERY interesting information ...... for somebody out there ..... maybe ..... just not me!

Niger fancies Bugatti??? Who the hell in Niger can afford a Bugatti? In fact, how many citizens in Niger has access to the internet? I've been there albeit a few years ago and all I've saw was about 90% of their population suffering in abject poverty. About another 9% at least have a permanent roof over their heads while the remaining 1% is probably the presidential entourage. Maybe it's them checking out Bugatti's because they're the only ones who seem like they could afford such frivolous luxuries.

I'm curious as to the date range the data encompasses.
Just updated the post with that missing piece of data. Answer = 2016

I am sure this is VERY interesting information ...... for somebody out there ..... maybe ..... just not me!
Can't blame you. Not all stories we publish are interesting to me either. But surely, somebody out there will enjoy learning about that new phone from Blackberry.

Niger fancies Bugatti??? Who the hell in Niger can afford a Bugatti? In fact, how many citizens in Niger has access to the internet? I've been there albeit a few years ago and all I've saw was about 90% of their population suffering in abject poverty. About another 9% at least have a permanent roof over their heads while the remaining 1% is probably the presidential entourage. Maybe it's them checking out Bugatti's because they're the only ones who seem like they could afford such frivolous luxuries.
Maybe they aren't lookin to buy it. People like looking at cool cars they cannot afford, me included. President of Niger probably has as much money as we do lol.

Pff... What baloney is this? Don't you get the emails from the rich Nigerian princes too? ;P

Maybe they aren't lookin to buy it. People like looking at cool cars they cannot afford, me included. President of Niger probably has as much money as we do lol.
That depends on what mean by "we". African leader are among some of the richest people on the planet, they can't afford just one Bugatti, they can easily afford a whole fleet of them. In a country like Niger you have the destitute which is the vast majority. Then you get the middle class but if you blink while looking at them, you miss them. Then you get the rich... and they are super rich.

This looks like a game of risk or Civ on world map, just using car manufacturers instead.

Nigerian top oligarchical percentile and maybe presidential inner circle very top percentile for Bugatti , moving down to BMW the top percentile overlords ,the successful Nigerian scam op. lords , arms smugglers and brokers ,precious mineral mining oligarchs ,organ sellers, Ivory poachers & smugglers ,Nigerian producers and exporters of illicit narcotics and psychotropic drugs ,Nigerian bank presidents, human traffickers ,money launderers ,successful large exotic pet smugglers & the shrunken head smugglers , dealer and so on :)

Last edited:
Nigerian top oligarchical percentile and maybe presidential inner circle very top percentile for Bugatti , moving down to BMW the top percentile overlords ,the successful Nigerian scam op. lords , arms smugglers and brokers ,precious mineral mining oligarchs ,organ sellers, Ivory poachers & smugglers ,Nigerian producers and exporters of illicit narcotics and psychotropic drugs ,Nigerian bank presidents, human traffickers ,money launderers ,successful large exotic pet smugglers & the shrunken head smugglers , dealer and so on :)
I get your response and although I may be wrong, I think you're also confusing Niger with Nigeria, as do so many others. They're two completely different and separate countries (albeit in close proximity to each other) with similar sounding and easily misread names. There are two extra vowels at the end of the name Niger(ia)

Back