Check out this hilarious video of kids reacting to cassette players

Shawn Knight

Staff member

There once was a time when taking music with you meant popping a cassette tape into your cassette player, attaching a set of headphones and jamming out until the AA batteries died.

The Sony Walkman and similar devices were cutting-edge technology at the time and while it may not seem like all that long ago for those of us that lived in the ‘90s, the fact of the matter is there is now an entire generation that is oblivious to life before streaming music services, smartphones and tablets.

The clip above reveals exactly what happens when kids and teens alike are presented with a Walkman. What is it? What does it do? How does it work? All valid questions, it seems.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

People wanting to harm children... you guys need help... they are kids...Please never procreate.

This makes me feel old... I'm only 21 and I remember cassettes a lot. My parents had tons of audio cassettes and nearly every movie I had as a child was a video cassette. I had a bookshelf of about 50 VHS movies and I remember when we first started getting DVD's I was frustrated because the DVD's would get scratched and that was never a problem with the VHS tapes.

I remember years later going to my step-dad's parent's house, they had a VCR from when they were new and with the sticker price still on it, it was $600.

Want to see them really stare with their mouths open?
Give them a late 60's color television, with vacuum tubes, NO remote control. The kind that has 12 vhf channels and a bunch of not really used uhf channels, and tell them you only got 3-4 channels at most, and those usually went off the air around midnight.

If somebody wants to make a point about quickly ageing technologies there are many ways to do it with people who just reached 18. Many would have no idea how to operate a video player, or worse - a floppy drive.

You can ask small kids just about anything and still catch them dumb, because that's in their nature to be clueless. And it will prove nothing, except being an annoyance.

Last edited:
While the idea is interesting, this one is cheap. Of course they don't know what it is. How could they? They've never seen anyone use it, and a cassette player is not a highly intuitive device. To ask an 8 year old to figure that out is just for laughs. Cheap laughs.

Lol what was she saying about thug life represent

Makes me appreciate cd players even more

Last edited:
Preach it brother.. These children will never experience the pain of losing a Movie you love so dearly because your older brother filled the VHS *no-record tab* with refill paper to tape a WCW episode!

This makes me feel old... I'm only 21 and I remember cassettes a lot. My parents had tons of audio cassettes and nearly every movie I had as a child was a video cassette.
I was surprised the older kids seemingly hadn't even heard of cassettes. I can see they might not know how to put one in, but most of the buttons are pretty self explanatory, volume, play, headphones are still used (well, maybe ear buds, but same thing). Young kids, well it really was well before their time.

I used to have almost 200 cassettes in a case I specially bought for them. I always went out with my Walkman and a pair of cassettes. Obviously now is more practical, but in those times finding non mainstream music was really satisfactory.

This is the first full brain washed generation.
When I was 10-14 hard interesting for prvious technology.
And almost everybody.
Fully programmed life, poor kidz.

While the idea is interesting, this one is cheap. Of course they don't know what it is. How could they? They've never seen anyone use it, and a cassette player is not a highly intuitive device. To ask an 8 year old to figure that out is just for laughs. Cheap laughs.
I've got a 7 year old cousin who figured out how to use a tablet and I mean find games, install them and play them without any help yet a cassette player is too hard to figure out?

This is the first full brain washed generation.
I'm willing to bet you wouldn't know what to do if given tech that was used previous to the last century. But yet here you are saying these kids are a first simply because they don't know how to use things from your generation. Nothing has come and gone faster than electronic devices. And you want to hold it against people for not knowing how to use outdated crap.

I truly hope you were trolling and didn't mean what you said.

Back