Check sum error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I try and start my computer (Windows 2000) I get the following message..."check sum error...insert system restore disk in A drive". We restart the computer and get the same message. At first it would finally start correctly after about 3 times or so. The problem has grown worse. Now it takes about 30 to 45 min. to finally get the machine started. Nothing is in drive A. What could be causing this problem. Thanks for your help in advance.

Your bios battery may be flat. A new cr2032 button cell should fix the problem altho you will need to configure the bios correctly.

Thanks. I'm new to this so can you explain the process of how to configure the bios correctly? Thanks again.

Oh, and ummm. A system that old will be next to impossible to find bios information on. I don't suppose you still have it's manual?

Okay, I got a new battery and put it in. Now I am getting the following message when I try to boot up...."BIOS ROM checksum error...Keyboard error or no keyboard present". I have tried two different keyboards and get the same error. Any thoughts?

Okay, now the keyboard error is not showing up on the boot screen but only the BIOS ROM checksum error. This is getting old. Any help?

dude, try to take out the RAM chips and put it back again, I had the same error before and a friend told me to do that, it worked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back