TechSpot

Check sum error.

By lcg25
Dec 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I try and start my computer (Windows 2000) I get the following message..."check sum error...insert system restore disk in A drive". We restart the computer and get the same message. At first it would finally start correctly after about 3 times or so. The problem has grown worse. Now it takes about 30 to 45 min. to finally get the machine started. Nothing is in drive A. What could be causing this problem. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Your bios battery may be flat. A new cr2032 button cell should fix the problem altho you will need to configure the bios correctly.

3. lcg25

lcg25 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks. I'm new to this so can you explain the process of how to configure the bios correctly? Thanks again.

4. Rik

That's not possible unless you tell me what pc you have.

5. lcg25

It is a Micron Millennia PR02 (Pentium III) windows 2000. Is this all the info you need?

6. Rik

Oh, and ummm. A system that old will be next to impossible to find bios information on. I don't suppose you still have it's manual?

7. lcg25

Thanks Rik, I just went into the BIOS and noted all the settings.

8. lcg25

Okay, I got a new battery and put it in. Now I am getting the following message when I try to boot up...."BIOS ROM checksum error...Keyboard error or no keyboard present". I have tried two different keyboards and get the same error. Any thoughts?

9. Rik

Is it a usb keyboard or a ps2 keyboard (small round plug)?

10. lcg25

ps2 keyboard

11. lcg25

Okay, now the keyboard error is not showing up on the boot screen but only the BIOS ROM checksum error. This is getting old. Any help?

12. snyprozz04

snyprozz04 TS Rookie

dude, try to take out the RAM chips and put it back again, I had the same error before and a friend told me to do that, it worked!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.