Checksum error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to put together a system using ecs k7vta3. Machine is dead unless I put the cmos jumper in the clear position and leave it there. However, even when I do that I get "cmos checksum error defaults loaded". I used ddr 2700 (333mhz) which I believe is compatible with specs of board which is ddr200 -ddr333. Memory shows good on boot up.

When the cmos checksum error is displayed I can't get into the setup to change anything. Nor can I by pressing "delete" upon bootup. My guess is I need to exchange motherboard. Any thoughts? Thanks

When did you first experience the "dead" system. Had you just made changes to the configuration? hardware? BIOS flash gone horribly wrong maybe?
More info on this would be of help. Such as what was done between the last time it booted up normally, and when you booted and found it to be dead.

new board

The board is new, so no flashing of bios. The board never booted or anything...the power supply never even turned on. It is possible that the jumpers for the cpu frequency were incorrectly set at first. However, I took care of that...133 MHz. (I have tried every speed on the cpu frequency.)

The only way to get the system to start at all is to place the cmos jumper on clear and leave it there when powering up.

Its been my experience that checksum errors are always a faulty motherboard or problem with the cmos chip. Either way since its a new board you should return it.

probably right

I suspect you're right. There was mention in the user's guide about only using unbuffered ram but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. Appreciate your help.

memory okay

I checked the memory and it's compatible. I'm returning the motherboard since it's new. Thanks for your help. I could try changing the cmos battery and etc. but I'd probably be hosed concerning the motherboard maker's guarantee.

I believe leaving the jumper in the clear position and powering up will damage the motherboard. Checksum error usually means the data in cmos has changed since the last post. Could be a dead battery, happens sometimes even on a new board.

if the checksum error is only occuring when the jumper is in place, the jumper is probably causing the error, since the jumper shorts the leads of the CMOS chip to clear the memory. Personally, I've never booted a machine with the CMOS jumper in reset.

jumper

Very true. This was the only way the computer would even turn on. The computer was dead if the jumper was removed totally or in the normal position. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back