TechSpot

China to lift 13-year ban on video game console sales

By Justin Kahn
Sep 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. China has now officially approved proposals that will see the 13 year ban on the sale of gaming consoles come to an end, opening up a massive market for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to tap into.

Read more

2. Just in time for ZTE to announce their new Z-Box ;)

3. Glad I don't live in China.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

It is about time.

5. gibbstar

gibbstar TS Rookie Posts: 23

Shoulda bought some stocks in Sony!

6. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +50

The best way set them back -poison the mind! Muahaha...

spydercanopus likes this.
  7. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord TS Rookie Posts: 27

I've been living in China for years and bought a PS3 a few months after its release. Its never been hard to get consoles here, but you couldn't find them in major retailers. Its even easier now since I can order games online. However, there is a huge market because none of the kids even know what a PS3 is.

I hope this means I'll have a steadier online connection since I often get signed out of PSN.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

They should start with NES

9. Bad move - most titles suck anyway won't be doing kiddies any favours.

10. "The console ban was put in place back in 2000 due in large part to concerns regarding the influence violent and mature games could have on Chinese youth"

..now, they lift the ban not long after GTA V release, what a perfect timing :D

11. Im sure there will be games china will add to a banlist yet. Still, though, people feel much more inspired to do things after watching a movie and not so much video games. Usually when violent action happens in movies it's a far bigger "WOAH!" or... "inspiring" factor than doing the same or similar things over and over in video games. It might just be me but I feel like movies such as rob zombie films or action films probably have a far bigger mental impact on people than video games. Sane or insane.

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Just think of all the babies coming out the womb playing GTA V.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.