China's amazing straddling bus successfully completes its first road test

midian182

Staff member

China’s straddling bus design has been floating around for a some time, and while it looks amazing, there’s always been the caveat that it’s only a concept, far from becoming a reality – but not anymore.

The China Xinhua News reports that the transit elevated bus TEB-1 has just completed its first road test in Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province, where the brakes and power consumption were put through their paces on a track measuring almost 1000 feet.

The bus runs on rails laid alongside ordinary roads. It’s able to carry up to 300 passengers 15 feet above the ground inside the 72-foot long by 25-foot wide body. Its high legs allow any vehicles under 6.5 feet in height to travel underneath it, even when it is stationary.

Not only does the sheer size of the TEB mean it could replace 40 conventional buses, but it’s also environmentally friendly. Being powered by electricity reduces fuel consumption by some 800 tons and carbon emissions by nearly 2,500 tons every year, chief engineer Song Youzhou told Xinhua.

The straddling bus can travel at up to 40 mph, which would enable commuters to get around a lot faster than if they were driving through China’s notoriously busy city roads. Future versions of the TEB could be a lot larger and carry over 1000 passengers, easing congestion on a massive scale. Best of all, they can be built for about 16 percent of what constructing a subway would cost.

The TEB still has some way to go before it’s ready for everyday use, but other countries such as France, Brazil, India, and Indonesia have expressed an interest in the technology.

Image credit: Xinhua

Permalink to story.

Dang would be interesting to have something like that in North American cities, but I don't think would be feasible with all the trucks on the road.

Dang would be interesting to have something like that in North American cities, but I don't think would be feasible with all the trucks on the road.

Agreed, plus all the infrastructure that would have to be setup. I see these as more of trains than buses. Actually, more like trolley cars. Bridges might be an issue too.

Besides all the issues, I think it is a neat idea and I hope it works out well.

I'm more concerned with the getting used to period I mean, I would be totally freaked to try to pass it or if I see it coming my way, I know it goes high on top but still, the idea of something huge being on top of me or passing me at a superior speed would definitely be something worrisome.

Also concerned about ahole that gets stuck in the middle or are too far sided for it to pass or be part of a collision because someone said freak it I'll just use this space.

Pretty ingenious idea to me, but it's almost more along the lines of a monorail or elevated rail system than a bus. It needs the rails to operate and the overhead power distribution, hardly a bus, but nonetheless a good idea as apposed to actually putting elevated rails everywhere which a such an eye sore. Could be a good technology for many cities that have a relatively low gradient and lots of long straight stretches of road, I'm amazed that it can corner the way it does too.

Would need some controls to be in place to stop ******* drivers doing what they do best - racing under it, using it for shelter, overtaking at just the wrong moment, or just rolling down the window to try to touch it. That's one expensive crash.

What happens when an ***** lane straddles, and blocks the rail it need to travel on?
Same thing that happens to a streetcar when that happens... the difference is at least "normal" traffic can keep going under the bus, as opposed to when a streetcar is "frozen", it blocks everyone!

Interesting idea to relieve urban center traffic congestion. What are the implications for ***** drivers of cars passing underneath the thing though? Can this thing be derailed easily if some wank runs into the thing?

MOTION SICKNESS - just imagining about it makes me feel giddy! - this is going to be nauseating for many :p

Haha, you want motion sickness? One early concept I saw for this years ago had transparent floors on the train. Talk about freaky, watching traffic underneath your feet, or driving along and seeing people floating above you? Ack!

What if those 40 conventional buses were replaced with normal electric buses instead of this behemoth? This can go past traffic and all but would just want to have a comparison to other electric vehicles instead some old gas guzzlers.

Kind of looks like a bowlegged dancer I knew in my younger years ... hopefully the bottom side of the bus smells a little better ...... :(

Interesting idea to relieve urban center traffic congestion. What are the implications for ***** drivers of cars passing underneath the thing though? Can this thing be derailed easily if some wank runs into the thing?
Probably. Boston runs into a derailment every few years or so, because someone thought they had right-of-way against a larger, faster, and fixed-track vehicle. The train always wins, but it usually sits off the track for a few hours - shutting down traffic on that road, and on that particular portion of the Green Line.

Back