China's new robot soldier can zap rioters with electricity

midian182

Staff member

In what appears to be the first step toward machines rising up and overthrowing their human masters, China has unveiled a robot soldier designed to control rioters and protesters - using electric shocks if necessary. And yes, it does look like a Doctor Who Dalek.

Revealed last week at the 12th Chongqing Hi-Tech Fair, the AnBot was designed and built by the National Defense University as a way to deal with terrorism and unrest in the country.

The robot measures just under five feet and weighs around 171 pounds. It has a top speed of 11 miles per hour and is equipped with a range of sensors that it uses to identify objects and dangers. While its “electrically charged riot control tool” sounds terrifying, the AnBot is also designed to help people; it has an “SOS” button that citizens can press to alert local police in the event of an emergency. But it seems not everyone is a fan:

The robot’s sensors are said to mimic the human brain, eyes, and ears. It’s capable of eight hours continuous work, and while it does patrol autonomously, it can be controlled remotely should a dangerous situation arise - which is good, as allowing an AI to decide when it should electrocute a person probably isn’t a good idea.

China is the world’s largest market for industrial robots. Last year at the World Robot Conference in Beijing, a Chinese firm revealed a trio of ‘attack robots,’ including one model that carries rifles and a grenade launcher, that are designed to help in the fight against “global terror.”

Image credit: Chinanews.com

Permalink to story.

Throw paint on its sensors or a well placed sheet. Tackling something that can electrocute you doesn't make much sense. Might as well walk into a jail and say arrest me. A pack of ten+ of these would be pretty intimidating in a country like the UK where firearms are illegal. No I do not love or hate guns.

I do not fear ai, but I do fear an army of robots controlled by the rich\politicians\lobbyists. If they have soldiers with no morals what would stop them from pressing the boot down all on the way on our poor necks. People who control the country through and by accepting legal bribes are the real terror. One day will have one these on every quarter mile+ in cities. When statistics show a favorable likelihood that we can be permanently contained. What would stop a politician from declaring protests terrorism. They already took our right to privacy with the patriot act\NSA. It could easily snow ball from there, what do you think trump would do with these robots?

I only hope I live to see something so interesting.

President Trump "I told you to program them to make America great again!"

Scientist "We did, activating...."

upload_2016-4-29_14-8-42.png

Attachments

• 1-2.png
    1-2.png
    78 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Throw paint on its sensors or a well placed sheet. Tackling something that can electrocute you doesn't make much sense. Might as well walk into a jail and say arrest me. A pack of ten+ of these would be pretty intimidating in a country like the UK where firearms are illegal. No I do not love or hate guns.

I do not fear ai, but I do fear an army of robots controlled by the rich\politicians\lobbyists. If they have soldiers with no morals what would stop them from pressing the boot down all on the way on our poor necks. People who control the country through and by accepting legal bribes are the real terror. One day will have one these on every quarter mile+ in cities. When statistics show a favorable likelihood that we can be permanently contained. What would stop a politician from declaring protests terrorism. They already took our right to privacy with the patriot act\NSA. It could easily snow ball from there, what do you think trump would do with these robots?

I only hope I live to see something so interesting.

President Trump "I told you to program them to make America great again!"

Scientist "We did, activating...."

View attachment 81468
tackle it from behind, or throw a friend on it!

Better an electric shock than some hard time in the Chinese equivalent of the Soviet Gulag being re-educated
dictatorship getting soft these days

Last edited by a moderator:
Better an electric shock than some hard time in the Chinese equivalent of the Soviet Gulag being re-educated dictatorship getting soft these days
Fear not. It's probably just the beginning. Once you're zapped and incapacitated the human police can more easily take you into custody and then the real fun begins. :)

Danger, Danger......, Danger,Will Robinson-Chang.....
lost-in-space-robot.jpg

Last edited:
Back