Chinese flash drives very problematic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some 32GB and 8GB flash drives from China so that I could sell them here in South Africa.
They are all FAT32, copies of Sandisk Micro, IBM thinkpad, Sony VAIO and some pens.
I am on Windows XP, all the data can be copied and read from the drives, but when I remove the drives and put them back in, some of the data is lost.
If I put multiple folders, only one folders has files which can run, some files become corrupt.
The Sandisk Cruzer Micro is corrupted after I tried formatting it, now it doesnt even wanna format.
Help please?

edit: ALL my other previous working flash drives and my friend's flash drives are in FAT, maybe this is the problem, because these chinese flashes are in FAT32. I cant change format from windows or control panel. any special software?

You can change formats. FAT32 I would think is more widely used for larger drives.

If you didn't buy "Official" Sandisk drives of course they aren't going to be any good. It is widely known that they are fakes, I think you even acknowledged that by saying they were Chinese. That is the reason they were cheap to buy, they are DESIGNED to scam people into buying them thinking they are getting a good deal.

Your story is analogous to buying a cammed version of a new movie rather than paying to see it in theater and then complaining the picture and sound quality are bad.

SNGX1275 said:
You can change formats. FAT32 I would think is more widely used for larger drives.

If you didn't buy "Official" Sandisk drives of course they aren't going to be any good. It is widely known that they are fakes, I think you even acknowledged that by saying they were Chinese. That is the reason they were cheap to buy, they are DESIGNED to scam people into buying them thinking they are getting a good deal.

Your story is analogous to buying a cammed version of a new movie rather than paying to see it in theater and then complaining the picture and sound quality are bad.

it doesnt let me change format. i tried. is there any program that would? im really desperate because I lost a lot of money in this.

Windows should let you decide what format to format them in. But FAT32 is used in a 1GB Sandisk Cruzer, I own one. There is no logical reason to use FAT16 for larger than that so I'm going to make the educated assumption that anything larger than 1GB made by Sandisk would also use FAT32. So I don't see any reason you should switch it to something else.

Your drives are no good and I highly doubt they are real sandisk drives.

Here is a good link concerning flash cards: http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Fake_Memory_Cards
Here is one directly talking about the Cruzers: http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Cruzer-USB-Flash-Drives-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001236054

If you bought these knowing they were fakes with the intention of selling them like real drives you deserve to lose all your money.

If you bought these thinking they were real and are now realizing they are fake you should do the ethical thing and not try and decieve your customers by selling them as real.

SNGX1275 said:
Windows should let you decide what format to format them in. But FAT32 is used in a 1GB Sandisk Cruzer, I own one. There is no logical reason to use FAT16 for larger than that so I'm going to make the educated assumption that anything larger than 1GB made by Sandisk would also use FAT32. So I don't see any reason you should switch it to something else.

Your drives are no good and I highly doubt they are real sandisk drives.

Here is a good link concerning flash cards: http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Fake_Memory_Cards
Here is one directly talking about the Cruzers: http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Cruzer-USB-Flash-Drives-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001236054

If you bought these knowing they were fakes with the intention of selling them like real drives you deserve to lose all your money.

If you bought these thinking they were real and are now realizing they are fake you should do the ethical thing and not try and decieve your customers by selling them as real.

i know they are not real and i dont sell them as real and my customers know they are generic. im not good at this but even my working 2gb flash drive is in fat, but all these non working, not just the sandisk are in fat32, and windows doesnt even let me change the format. again i ask for a program that could help me please
thanks

You can probably boot a live linux cd and have it take a shot at formatting them to whatever. The thing is Windows should allow you to format it to FAT, since it doesn't it could be the drive's fault.

sandisc drives are well known to be cheap and problematic and have been reported as such ad nauseum here on techspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back