Chkdsk runs everytime I boot up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_m

Hi there, I'm having a few problems with my Seagate Barracuda HDD. When I boot into Windows XP it automatically performs a chckdsk procedure. If I skip the process it makes no difference and the computer works normally. The only thing that seems to be effected is I can't defrag the drive because it says the drive is scheduled to run chkdsk!

Also using the Sea Tools Diagnostic software I have run drive tests on the drive in question and it always fails the short DST. I also have had problems before with the drive coming up with delayed write failure errors, but these seem to have stopped now. Any help on this would be most appreciated!

Will Morris

P.S Sorry for lack of spec etc. I did used to have an account on here but it seems to have disappeared!

Welcome to TechSpot!

How old is the HDD in question?
Could be a number of things wrong?
HDD is going bad..
Bad sectors on the HDD that can't be fixed with chksdsk

By your own reports there you drive is failing, you should clone the drive
onto a newer drive larger than your current drive. Better start soon. If you
delay the HDD could be unaccessable.

Hi there thanks very much!

The drive is around a year old and I use it for audio and video files. I have a separate program drive. Any ideas?

Will

I would suggest HDD has block table at is set to the default of 512, if you use the drive for only videos then you should increase that to 1024. But you can't do it now because you would have to re-format the HDD again. If you do that you'll loose your media.

Seagate should give you a replacement HDD if you still have coverage, but you'll have to send that HDD back to them. You would have to backup your Media prior to sending it to them.

I was thinking of sending it back as it's still under warranty but I wasn't sure what condition it would have to be in for me them to count it as returnable. I have emailed them though so hopefully I shall hear back from them soon! I'm not sure I understood the point you made about the video file before, I capture from my video camera so there are some pretty huge files on there!

Will

If you playback videos only on the HDD you can improve the performance of the files structure is allocated. By default Windows set it to 512 blocks. I just said it would be a better idea to use 1024 blocks due to the way media files can stored and save onto the HDD.

Now why don't you just call up Tech support and tell them the error message your getting from their tools. The Tech should give you all the info about returning it back tot hem to get a replacement drive. Now you might get luckly an they don't have the size you have and might give you and upgrade to a bigger HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back