CHKDSK will not run - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP laptop running XP Professional SP-3. It has recently started running really slow on IEv8. While trying to remove unecessary apps and defrag it I got the message that "Disk Defragmenter has determined that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume hdd1 C:. Please run chkdsk /f." So I have done that from the command promp, hit Y and rebooted and chkdsk never ran.

I then tried it from the GUI interface under properties for C: and got "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)." Of course I hit Y and rebooted and chkdsk still wouldnt run.

So then I tried to run it in safe mode and got the same response. I have looked at all the forums and have tried many many things but nothing seems to work.

If somebody has a solution that works I would be most appreciative. I am at wits end.

Thanks for the quick reply... I had tried it before but just did it again. I shut down, came back up hitting F8, went into safe mode with command prompt, typed chkdsk /r (also tried /f) got the same message as before, entered Y, shut down and let it come back up.

This time I got a new popup box that's titled "language.exe corrupt file message" saying, "c:\documents and settings\all users\documents is corrupt and unreadable. please run the chkdsk utility." This is the first time that has popped up

Thanks for the quick reply... I had tried it before but just did it again. I shut down, came back up hitting F8, went into safe mode with command prompt, typed chkdsk /r (also tried /f) got the same message as before, entered Y, shut down and let it come back up.

This time I got a new popup box that's titled "language.exe corrupt file message" saying, "c:\documents and settings\all users\documents is corrupt and unreadable. please run the chkdsk utility." This is the first time that has popped up

You are still trying to run chkdsk after Windows starts - even in safe mode, Windows is running. You need to run chkdsk after booting directly into Recovery Console (in which case Windows will not be running) per my post

Also, i'd make sure all your files/folders/stuff is backed up before hand. Also note chdksk can take a loooong time to run (sometimes hours). Don't interrupt it. If the screen doesn't seem to update, don't think it's hanging.. unless you give it at least 30+ minutes for the screen % progress to change

LookinAround, you are awesome. I made a recovery disk with the file you sent and booted off of it and was able to run chkdsk. Now it is in the process of doing a much needed defrag. Thank you so much for your expertise and time.

Can I mail you a starbucks gift card or something for your time? I have been working on this for 3 days and you fix it in 15 minutes.

Thank you so much for the kind offer.. but i'm honestly just happy to hear i could help!

Here's to "Happy Computing"! and hope your computer continues to run well! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back