CHM Files Selectively Give "page cannot be displayed" error!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cds333

Hey There,

Was just hoping someone knows wtf is going on here-

Some .chm files, when I try to read them with the default winXP .chm viewer, display the standard Internet Explorer "The page cannot be displayed" error page in the viewing pane. The table of contents is visible, however, just not the page data.

Now, if I copy the same .chm file to my desktop, it opens fine!

This only happens with some of my .chm files, although it is always the same ones- and they always work when I copy them to the desktop, just not when they are in the folders I keep them in.

The data is there, it just can't be accessed for some reason (if I use a .chm 'decoder' to decode the .chm files to .htm format, they work fine; however I don't want to have to mess with a hundred different .htm files just to read a book)

BTW, I have tried changing the filenames with no avail.

If anyone has solved this problem or has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.

-cds

Hey Bobbye,

Thanks for the info, however there isn't an 'Unblock' button in the properties window for me.

Also, I am running winXP sp2 with no updates installed ; I don't know if that helps. And for some reason the files work fine when I copy them to my desktop.

Thanks Again.

I fixed the problem...

It was a "#" character in the path. All the chm files were in a folder named "C#.NET", and after I renamed it to "CSharp.NET", they all work fine.

FYI, a "#" char in the filename will cause the same problem.

Thanks again Bobbye.

Glad you fixed it and thanks for letting me know how! I'll add the significance of the "#" char to my always growing 'learned' file!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back