Choice Between Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
get an nvidia-based 6600gt or better card instead, your wallet and eyes will thank you.
Also, How much of a performance difference is there between AGP 4X and 8X?
in terms of interface, 8x is nearly two times better. it depends more on the card, though. 4x will have trouble with larger data transfers (for textures and such)

hmm

To actually answer the question, the one with the higer clock speed is not worth that much extra money. With that cooler on it, you could very easily OC it (if you want) to speed almost as much and the more expensive card. I will admit that the 6600 is a good card. But compared to a x800, get outta here.

Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
I will admit that the 6600 is a good card. But compared to a x800, get outta here.

Damn Straight! I'm an Ati guy myself, nothing against Nvidia, I just don't have any experience with them. And a 6600Gt w/ 256 mb of ram and only 128 bit interface is still $230 on Newegg so I'm not sure what your talking about with $160. Thanks for the info about 4X vs. 8X info. Sucks that I only have a 4X capable Mobo, I'll upgrade eventually.

Did you decicide which one? Should order it soon of Newegg to take advantage of the 99 cent shipping. (if your in the US)

Sean

which do you prefer

I have a alienware an i love it 2 death but I whant your advice which do u prefer nvidia otr ati pci express beacause i have been looking at the x800 xt 4 a wile let me know what u think thanks...... :) :D

x850 xt

dudezer88 i would stick with a x850 xt cuz thats what iam planning on getting and its a awsome card 2 get.....

huh

Ok compguy you have confused me. First post you want advice. Second Post you say you are getting a x800. Im confused.

Well if you still need advice. Choosing between Ati and Nvidia is a very difficult thing. I do not favor either brand, and i own both. I do not choose a card because that brand is "cool". Do you need a new Gfx card first of all? I mean if your surfing the web then a x800 or a 6800 is just wasted money. Between x800 and 6800, i would go with a x800, bc i have heard good things about it. But lets be honest they are both kick *** cards. If you have no limit, splurge and get an x850 or opt out for SLI 6800's (note a new MB will be in order) BUt who am i to say this...use the search function to find the countless posts on this topic here.

Sean

I think I'm getting the X800 pro. I'm hoping by spending a little extra it'll last me longer. Plus I can oc it past the slower one. I have checked out both brands (Nvidia and Ati). From the reviews I've seen the differences between comparably priced cards is marginal so I'm gonna stick with what I know and get the Ati.

BTW: I'm getting the Sapphire AGP version for those who thought I was getting Pci-e

dudezer88 said:
Damn Straight! I'm an Ati guy myself, nothing against Nvidia, I just don't have any experience with them. And a 6600Gt w/ 256 mb of ram and only 128 bit interface is still $230 on Newegg so I'm not sure what your talking about with $160. Thanks for the info about 4X vs. 8X info. Sucks that I only have a 4X capable Mobo, I'll upgrade eventually.

Several around $160 for 128mb.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145107
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814108148

That's fine if you don't like nvidia. Ati are good too, they both are good.
I was just saying, you can get a 6600gt for about $160 which gets about 3681 in 3dmark05, while an x800 is about $240 for about 3802 pts. It's only 121 pts better for $80 more. It probably does better at high res/high aa/af because of the 256bit memory though.

vnf4ultra said:
It's only 121 pts better for $80 more.

It is not only benchmarks that make the card. The 256 ram will help (doom 3 anyone?) and the 256 bit like you said. I dont like ati better, but in this situation compared to a 6600 the x800 is far more superior.
Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
It is not only benchmarks that make the card.

Exactly. I definitely want to max out my settings as in full AA and AF, high res, etc. so I might as well buy a card that can do all that and still have good framerates. I'm just not confident a cheaper card could do all that, at least not for very long, so I'm going with the X800 pro.

you're comparing ati's best products to nvidia's second-tier products here!
the x800 and x850 are both at the top of ati's line, whereas the 6800gt is the top of the nvidia line. in pretty much everything except half-life 2 the 6800-based cards are significantly faster.

vnf4ultra said:
Several around $160 for 128mb.

Sorry for the double post. I already have an old 9700TX vid card with 128mb so I might as well get 256mb with my new one.

zephead said:
you're comparing ati's best products to nvidia's second-tier products here!
the x800 and x850 are both at the top of ati's line, whereas the 6800gt is the top of the nvidia line. in pretty much everything except half-life 2 the 6800-based cards are significantly faster.

Thanks for addressing the poor comparison. Why do the 6800 cards usually only have 350mhz core? Do the extra pixel pipelines make up for that?

zephead said:
in pretty much everything except half-life 2 the 6800-based cards are significantly faster.

Thats a load of crap. You find me a x850PE that gets beat by a 6800 and i will sell my card and become ever loyal to Nvidia. lol. Zephead im not having this ATI Nvivdia debate. I dont care which brand is better or what. all im saying is that in the post he asked which one he should choose between the x800s.

zephead said:
get an nvidia-based 6600gt or better card instead, your wallet and eyes will thank you.
THen you suggested a 6600, and all im saying is that he obviously wants top of the line.

Sean

BTW-dudezr88 did you hear about the x800 dual card format? Its called GSO (give sean one) you buy two x800s and send one to me to see a dramtic increase in performance!!

AtK SpAdE said:
BTW-dudezr88 did you hear about the x800 dual card format? Its called GSO (give sean one) you buy two x800s and send one to me to see a dramtic increase in performance!!
lol

Anyway, I bought the X800 pro. I read some more reviews comparing the 6800 with the X800 and the "significant" performance difference between the two are about 10 fps at the most. It seems like it really depends on the game in deciding which is better. the 6800 is better at Doom 3, while the X800 is better at HL2. Overall it seems they offer fairly similar experiences.

Thanks for all the feedback

Atk thanks sorry if i confused you but thankyou i was planning on getting the x800 card but thanks again for the advice and sorry if i confused you.... :giddy: thanks again... :)

sebastian

Nvidia

Also AtK i was wondering since nividia can make 2 nvidia 6800 ultra's together in 2 can ati or pci express put 2 x800's together like nividia 6800's. Let me know what you think thanks again:

Sebastian

Hello there Compguy

Nvidia got the jump on dual card formats. However ATI isnt stupid, so they decided to devlop there own version. It is not out yet but shuld be in the next year. It is not called SLI (scalalbe like interface) but rather Multi Rendering. (kinda lame) Im not sure the details right now. All i know is a few months ago, there were rumors that an ordianary x800 would not work with MR and you would need an adapter as well. BUt i think now ATI said that was false. Hope this is clear...
Sean

Why do the 6800 cards usually only have 350mhz core? Do the extra pixel pipelines make up for that?
why do a64s running at 2.4 ghz beat an intel p4 running at 3 ghz? it's more to do with the design of the gpu. keep in mind that the nvidia specs are actually 400/1050mhz (ramdac/memory)

AtK thanks that was clear enough information and hopefully this new card would beat nvidia LOL thanks again 4 the info :approve:

sebastian

X850 Xt

Hello there AtK just whant to let you know I have bought the x850 xt for $449 brand new from alienware and LOVE it very much and runs extremely smooth. But thankyou for all your help again.

sebastian

Nice

Wow thats nice. Maybe you could get some pics of that and send them to me. Happy Gaming!

Sean

X850 Xt

AtK sup yeah I will send you pictures of the new card's graphics its AMAZING lol if i can have your email address that will be great Happy Gaming.

Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back