TechSpot

choose my hard drive please...

By bradthegreat
Jun 15, 2006
  1. I want to buy a large hard drive for storage. I am looking at this one here . It looks pretty good. I noticed that it is IDE Ultra ATA100 interface and my mobo here is just IDE. What does that mean? Can I order this HDD and be able to put it right in without an adapter or such? What is the difference betwixt IDE and Ultra IDE? thanks

2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 783

U asked for ATA100? Forget it, that will slow down your pleasure time. Take this sata.

Your motherboard supports SATA, so take it.

You posted the HDD you wanted is... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144392 <Slower.

I want you take this big mutha...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136003 <Sure it cost 14 dollars more, but the real itself is perfomance. You will love this hard drive.

ATA100 <Used in Pentium 2/3, Much slower and outdated technology.
    UATA100/133 Much common used and uses better reading cache. Has plenty of bottlenecks <Lag and slowdown.
    SATA was the best thing on today, because it has no bottleneck and can read much fast.

3. bradthegreat

bradthegreat TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 104

i already have 2 sata HDDs or else I would. what good hdd can I get for IDE that's at least 300GBs? I wish I could go sata, but I can't!!

4. Illfated

Illfated TS Rookie

>>It looks pretty good. I noticed that it is IDE Ultra ATA100 interface and my mobo here is just IDE. What does that mean? <<

Ultra ATA100 is just a type of IDE. It will fit.

5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

no much differance between 100 and 133
    seagate does not make 133 for a little more speed
    try WD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.