Choose What closing the lid does?

learninmypc

Normally, 99.999% of the time I just shut it down completely but I'd like to know what "sleep" means?
Does that mean if I do so, upon opening the lid it'll be where I left it at?
I notice in Control Panel>Power Options>System Settings whether its on battery or plugged in , it shows sleep. :)

I recommend sleeping the laptop if you are gonna use it after you close it within the next few hours. Otherwise shut it down.

Options are listed under the Power Profile.

There is a difference between Sleep & hibernate.
  1. Sleep halts the processsor and keeps memory active with a trickle of battery power. The longer the duration of Sleeping, the more the battery is drained.
  2. Hiberation writes memory to hiberfil.sys, alters the boot and performs a full shutdown and uses no power to keep the memory refreshed. You can restart from hiberation DAYS later and resume where you left off.
I hibernate whenever I leave the pc for more that just a few minutes.

Options are listed under the Power Profile.

There is a difference between Sleep & hibernate.
  1. Sleep halts the processsor and keeps memory active with a trickle of battery power. The longer the duration of Sleeping, the more the battery is drained.
  2. Hiberation writes memory to hiberfil.sys, alters the boot and performs a full shutdown and uses no power to keep the memory refreshed. You can restart from hiberation DAYS later and resume where you left off.
I hibernate whenever I leave the pc for more that just a few minutes.
Ok, putting it in hybernate, what do I do to get it back to the desktop? TIA :)
I just found this http://www.ehow.com/how_7343660_windows-vista-out-hibernation.html
is that correct?

Hibernate = shutdown while saving your open programs.

So if you Hibernate with a Word doc open and some browser tabs, this is what you will see when you boot up.

Ok, thank you. I usually close out everything first, just not used to doing that. This is the first "new" laptop I've had so I'm learning. :)

Back