Choosing a new graphics card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi people!

I´m here again asking for some help :angel:
Since I´m builing a new PC, with an Athlon 64 3200+ and 1GB of RAM, I need a good, CHEAP graphics card. I can afford no more than $120 really. I was looking for some cards in Newegg and there are little options. Reviews are very important to me. I wouldn´t like a card with lots of troubles.
I don´t know if I should go with a 6600GT, Radeon X1600PRO, Radeon X800GTO or something else.
This Aopen 6600GT is REALLY TEMPTING me;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135185

Its price its good, and should have good performance.
Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers! :wave: :grinthumb

All the cards you have listed are good performing, entry level 3D cards and should serve you well.

The only caveat I'd mention is for Oblivion- I'd strive for a 256mb vram card if you wish to play Oblivion as it can really tear through vram in it's current form.

Other than that, I'd say go with that 6600GT (or a 256mb version if you're an oblivion player) or the X1600 Pro. X800 GTO's rock too and would be overall more powerful than the 6600GT or X1600 Pro, but lack SM3.0 or FP16 blends for fancy hdr effects in a couple games.

I would like a X1600PRO 256MB, but I can´t find a good card that doesn´t have the Radeon´s X1600PRO lockup problem.

If you can suggest some cards it would be nice.

P.D: I won´t play Oblivion never ever :knock:

I'd go with a 7600GS with heatsink like I just did, Fry's has it for $149.99 but it's got a $40 mail in rebate, newegg sells this card for sure, and the reviews on it, are GOOD.

Beware of POWER SUPPLY and other requirements for any card!
The boxes on the Radeons I looked at kept listing minimum AMD 2.4 processor, mine's a 2.2, wth does that matter, and it was for cards that have been out more than a year+ even.

I just happen to look at them, I knew I was getting the 7600GS.

-Bf

Thanks for the response.

I really like the X800GTO, and I like the benchmarks I saw. It is WAY better than my current 9600XT.

Regarding my PSU, here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104951

It has 32Amps on the 12V rail. I think it should be enough. I did some calculations using the extreme psu calculator and my system will use 208 W. That PSU should be enough.

Well, that´s what I think :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back