Choosing a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbang

im looking to get a router but i dont really know what to look at when getting one.. ive seen something like mimo, G+, N, G, A + G, etc.. and some also say like 54MBPS, 125MBPS, 300MBPS etc..

can u guys tell me what to look at, the differences and maybe suggest a router.. ive checked my local store and only found linksys, netgear and belkin modems.. thanks in advance

Wireless Routers (which one and why)

Start looking at this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic87083.html

If you want to go wireless: Router should have MIMO gives the best spread coverage, but you'll need to buy all MIMO devices to work with that feature otherwise it's going to work as plain G.

A, B, G, *N (*still not decided yet) that's why you see Draft II. G - 802.11g as it is know comes in G basic 54G so you would get 54Mbps (mega bits per second) G+ or Turbo G up to 108Mbps or High Speed G 125Mbps. But again to get these type of speeds unless you go with the same type of devices from the same brand name. N Draft Mode II still being phase in gives you 300Mbps again to get this type of speed you'll have to buy everything N Draft II, but you'll mostly see what you would get with a G High Speed for now. N Phase 4 will give 856Mbps but that's what's being develop as we speed later down. Next month Intel new Wi-Fi Max will give laptops 70Mbps @ 2.5Ghz instead of the 2.4GHz you get with G. N Draft II or beter will operate at 5.8Ghz. That's another reason why new cordless phones have now gone from 5.8Ghz to 6.0Ghz DECT.

Tip: If you go with 2.4GHz band G and N (unless N stated as dual band 2.4/5.8Ghz) you should use 5.8Ghz DSS (digital spread spectrum cordless phone in the house. That's what I use with my 5.8Ghz phones so they don't interfere with my 2.4GHz wireless. I am about to purchase DECT 6.0Ghz phones soon. But for now this is how I do it..

This is a lot to sink in but this is what's going right now... If I was you the best way to go is get a Buffalo WHP-54G Wirless Router MIMO High Power Turbo 54G. This has two ANT both high power at 100% power spread range. This brand is more stable runing at 200Mhz also feature 4db ANT included.

Read more here:
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/

There are other brands I know others will recommend what they use. I use the above and own 2 of them and Ethernet Converter. I have no problems with wireless.

well i kinda get a little bit on the mimo part but for me range is not a problem. i just want a router with good speed.. i did read the earlier thread and i'm looking to avoid the routers which were suggested like belkin.

the problem is that my local store dont have any buffalow products and im not looking to order the router. so my options are more towards linksys or netgear. can anyone suggest a router which is as good as the buffalow WHP-54G or somwhere near it? im getting a virgin 20mbps broadband btw if that helps and sharing it with 4 people. im also looking for something under 70 pounds possibly. at most 100 pounds. thanks again in advance.

bigbang said:
well i kinda get a little bit on the mimo part but for me range is not a problem. i just want a router with good speed.. i did read the earlier thread and i'm looking to avoid the routers which were suggested like belkin.

The problem is that my local store dont have any buffalow products and im not looking to order the router. so my options are more towards linksys or netgear. can anyone suggest a router which is as good as the buffalow WHP-54G or somwhere near it? im getting a virgin 20mbps broadband btw if that helps and sharing it with 4 people. im also looking for something under 70 pounds possibly. at most 100 pounds. thanks again in advance.

Buffalo is sold at Circuit City and Best Buy in the states.. Otherwise Newegg it where I got my other two from. I had Linksys, Belkin, I only use one DLINK. Buffalo products are great for wireless purpose. I've done your work, UK online site has the Buffalo products... http://www.it247.com/Search/buffalo

This is the item I was talking above WHR-HP-G54
http://www.it247.com/Product/1663-WHR-HP-G54-1/Buffalo_AirStation_WHR_HP_G54_wireless_router.htm

Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54
Wireless router + 4-port switch
EN, Fast EN, 802.11b, 802.11g
£32.41 (Exc vat)
£38.08 (Inc vat) - I guess this means tax included but that's sound like under 70 pounds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back