Choosing new system, AMD or Intel? What are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyleronline

Hi there everyone! I am looking upgrade my current system and was looking for your opinions on my possible choices. I do alot of audio and video editing work so I need a system that will give me maximum performance in these areas. I dont do any gaming at all. My main choice is between AMD and Intel I currently have an Intel P4 3.2 CPU.

I have a very quiet P.C as i need to record in the same room as my P.C so im looking for the quitest system possible!

I have heard dual core cpu's are the best for video editing work (I use Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0.

I am choosing between these two processors
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=22855
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=22686

I know very little about processors but so I am only going on the speed, it seems strange to me that they are both of a similiar price but the intel is a 3.4 dual core and the AMD is a 2.4 dual core. Could anyone explain why this is? would aslo need a new Mobo if I went for the AMD aswell as new ram. So this is part of my dilemma. Is the AMD worth the extra cost?

Thanks for your time! I look forward to any help offered.

Athlons run at lower clock speeds because they use a more efficient architecture(more tasks per clock I believe).

The 3.4ghz Pentium D will not match up to the AMD 64 X2 4600 you're comparing it too. (4600 is the rated speed compared to a Pentium, usually a little off but can be fairly accurate).

However, since those are quite pricey, I strongly suggest you get this processor, here.

The Core 2 Duo E6400 as it will absolutely destroy the other two in anything you can benchmark them in.

Until AMD comes out with something new, currently Intel's duo core lineup is the way to go for anyone building a new system.

I would choose the AMD. They are more energy efficient, and are very smooth systems. Clock speed isn't everything, and not all programs (not many in fact) that run efficiently and are made for 2 cores.

Your right, my mistake. I have always known Athlon to run cooler and use less power. I guess I am not completely up to date. I will admit though, I am a beginner at this :) and I need to straighten out my facts. I would still say to go with the AMD though. Look up some benchmarks of the two and compare.

.... I think again your info is .... a little out of date ;)

Until recently AMD was the king in the benchmarks. However with the release of the core duo series by Intel, they are now the new performance kings in the benchmarks (and in real life).

Here is a great site for comparing the CPUs:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Don and SNGX are right...

as much as I hate to admit it (because I am an AMD fanboy ;)), I cannot deny the performance of the C2D's from Intel. less power consumption, less heat, more IPC, price, etc... any way you look at it it beats current AMD's

I have faith in AMD, and I do believe that they will regain the crown with their future platforms, but for right now Intel C2D's or C2E's are the way to go

cheers :wave:

And in the mean time, Intel is going to kill AMD. AMD really has to do something quick, or they'll be dead :dead:

thanks guys.from what you have said it seems that the intel would be the best solution at the moment. Is there a possibilty that AMD will come out with something soon to blow away the Core 2's? Also would the core 2 duo's be able to run Windows Vista to maximum potential i hear they will be many versions of the OS?

And one last question, are the Core 2 duo's compatible with my current motherboard?
http://www.asrock.com/product/775i65GV.htm
It doesnt say Duo core on the list but the Duo core i want http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=23825 states it is compatible with socket 775 which is what my Mobo is. Can anyone confirm that it would be compatible? Would it be worth upgrading my Mobo anyway so I can have more ram etc, and also get rid of annoying AGI slot which will only take a very small selection of Graphics cards! Thanks again for all the help!

The motherboard will work fine. I wouldn't get too excited about the dual monitor out. You can pick up a cheap video card with dual outs that will outperform that integrated graphics which also steals system ram.

If you aren't going to game with it then the integrated graphics will be just fine.

Another thing, don't plan on overclocking too much with that motherboard (maybe you weren't going to at all). I believe the core voltage is locked on that, so you can only overclock by upping the FSB.

Do the core duo mobos still support the old IDE hard drives or just the sata ones ? I am looking for a quick pc upgrade as my current pc is becoming more problematic each day, But dont feel like spending too much on hard drives and roms as i already got lots of space on my current hds.

Paranoid said:
Do the core duo mobos still support the old IDE hard drives or just the sata ones ? I am looking for a quick pc upgrade as my current pc is becoming more problematic each day, But dont feel like spending too much on hard drives and roms as i already got lots of space on my current hds.
Of course, as optical drives use the same IDE interface.

However some motherboards may have only one IDE channel rather than two(rare I believe), so you might have a problem there.

SNGX1275 said:
The motherboard will work fine. I wouldn't get too excited about the dual monitor out. You can pick up a cheap video card with dual outs that will outperform that integrated graphics which also steals system ram.

If you aren't going to game with it then the integrated graphics will be just fine.

Another thing, don't plan on overclocking too much with that motherboard (maybe you weren't going to at all). I believe the core voltage is locked on that, so you can only overclock by upping the FSB.
would it be worth getting a separate video card just so it doesnt steal system ram? thanks

Yeah, get a cheap graphics card (if you don't want to game), and your PC will be better. If you want to game, you may consider a 7600GT, 6800GS, or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back