TechSpot

Choosing the best graphics card

By hadoud76
Jun 26, 2006
  1. I have to choose the best graphics card between those.Other cards are out of $$discussion$$.
    ATI X1300 512MB
    Nvidia GeForce 512MB 7300
    P.S:Does it differ between one chip and another both from the same class such as: GeForce 6200 MSI 128MB and GeForce 6200 Tornado 128MB

Thanks in advance and I wish to be directed to the better graphics card.

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

How much can you afford, and, do you you live in the USA??

3. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

I would assume you are looking at PCI-e, right? Also, which model for 7300 are you considering, the 7300GS or 7300GT?

4. hadoud76

hadoud76 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

No I don't.I live in the Middle East (Beirut) and the 7300 costs here about 73$

PCI-e yess. And what is the difference between GS and GT?Which is better?Which is better than the ATI chip??

5. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 575

The GS has higher processor and memory clock speeds but uses a 64bit memory interface and appears to use shared memory. Also has only 4 pixel pipelines. Here is an example (I know you can't order from here):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143050

The GT has lower processor and memory clock speeds and uses a 128bit memory interface and uses 8 pixel pipes. However, it is more expensive, especially if you get the 512mb model. Here is another example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130024

The X1300 seems to split the difference between the two cards listed above. Decent processor and memory clock speed, 128bit memory, though it has only 4 pixel pipes. Falls right in the middle for price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131011

IMO the X1300 would be the the best value of the three, but I'm also not sure what you plan to use the card for. The GS seems like a decent card and got decent reviews for gaming, but I've never liked the idea of sharing system memory.

6. hadoud76

Thank you for all of this I appreciate it.I need it for gaming as you should have predicted but all in all with the 8 pixel pipes.
    You told me that GS shares memory from RAM's???How is that???Isn't this supposed to be very very bad?????

7. wolfram

YES, that bad. 64 bit memory is REALLY slow for gaming. If you want better performance, I would look for a 6600GT, ATI X1600PRO, or lastly a X1300PRO.

The gs uses a technology called turbo cache, (U can google for that), which shares system memory to the graphics card. REALLY useless feature. Why would a 7300GS need 512MB RAM?? Just a marketing feature.

Stay away from the 7300GS. Anyway, it`s all up to you :)

8. hadoud76

Pm

I think I will continue this with you in PM, so that we dont flood the forum

9. wolfram

Don`t worry about the forum, it has very good capacity on it!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.