TechSpot

Choppy DVD playback on slack9 using xine

By seltech
Sep 9, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi again all, I have another minor problem. I got my DVD working :) but when I play a DVD the playback is very choppy, i've tried screwin with the settings in xine but nothing changes. The DVD will lag every 3-4 seconds with a 1 second skip , it seems to keep lagging when the disc light is on. strange. any input would be nice thnx
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Check that your DMA is enabled on your DVD drive with hdparm /dev/dvd (or whatever the device is, might be /dev/cdrom or something). If it's not, you can enable it with hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd.
  3. seltech

seltech TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks alot sir, that's exactly what the problem was, run's very smooth now, much appriciated thank you.
  4. seltech

seltech TS Rookie Topic Starter

I noticed after i reboot the DMA is no longer set to on. Is there away to make this default on my DVD drive so i don't have to do the hdparm every time?
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Modify or create a file called /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

Add a line hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom there (if you have more than one IDE device, you can add them with their parameters too, naturally). Usually harddisks are configured from /etc/sysconfig/harddisks though.

In the end of the file there should be

: exit 0
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.